Thread: Ancient Temple [Battlemap]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Ancient Temple [Battlemap]

Long time lurker of CG, and finally got around to making my first post. I've been DMing for a long time now and lots of hand-drawn maps, but this is one of the first digital only maps that I've created with texture and extra flair. I have a fair bit of experience in graphic design, so it was fun to try out a few techniques that have been bouncing around in my head. I hope to have a few more of these cranked out over the next bit of time as I prepare for the next campaign I plan on running (can NEVER have enough maps!).

Love to know what you all think and any criticism to take my map making to the next level. Thanks and enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temple.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	39667

Very nice AragonLA,
    I really like the imposing statue at the entrance. What do you intend to use the alcoves for in the pillared hall? Looks like a great place to set-up a tough cross-fire encounter. Hope your players are ready for it.

Thanks!

I had originally thought to populate the alcoves with coffins or such, but decided to leave them open so I could tailor their use to the encounter that ends up taking place in there. I love the idea of dark little corners with who-knows-what lurking in the shadows. Ideally I'll put a couple thief-types hiding in the close alcoves and a bigger monster waiting on the east side to draw the PCs in.

Nothing fires up the imagination of a player like "who-knows-what" lurking!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

congrats on de-lurking - always nice... and nice start on your mapping " career" ... a single critique would be that personally I'd add some shadows to the elements to convey more depth
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Well, I'd add the critique that right now it looks to me like the dungeon is floating on top of the rock, maybe a bit of bevel for the edges?

Love the ideas!

I added drop shadows to all the elements that made sense, and that added a great layer of realism. As of right now all the shadows are room dependent, which is better than global, but I'll be playing with shadows that make sense with the light sources next time. I've been playing around with a bevel effect to marry the background to the map, and I'm not in love with it yet but it is a great improvement. I wonder if anyone has any tips that they've found (I'm using Photoshop).

Because I posted this in the finished map section, and in my mind I am done and ready to move on, I'll post this last improvement up here for people, but will be moving on to my next project. I'll be sure to post it in the WIP next time so I have a chance to improve it before the final release.

Thanks again to all who contributed their ideas! I'm wonderfully pleased with how this map turned out and the community involvement helped me keep my inspiration up. Can't wait to show you what's next!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temple.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	39719