Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November Entry: Deep Space Scout Carrier

Default November Entry: Deep Space Scout Carrier

It's been quite some time since I last participated in a challenge! But since I was going to make this deckplan, anyway…

At the moment, this is an 800-ton (Traveller tons) carrier designed to transport four S Class Scout ships. The carrier is Jump-3, but it can be refueled by the Scout ships, giving it an effective range of four parsecs, twice what a typical Scout is capable of. It was designed to rapidly survey relatively remote star clusters and serve as a mobile subsector IISS headquarters in areas outside of Imperial sovereignty. Since it often operates in potentially hostile space, the ship is more heavily armed than a typical Scout Service vessel

I have a rough little concept sketch so far. I've done some research on standard Traveller designs since then, and I'll certainly be trading out the space shuttle lookalikes for more traditional Scout hulls. I'll probably also include a deckplan of the Scout in the same style, but it will likely be derivative of existing plans of that ship.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deepSpaceScoutCarrier_sketch.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	39679  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I got distracted by that scout ship, so work on the carrier hasn't yet begun. But here's what I've got at the moment:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100T_scoutShip_classS_deckPlan_002.png 
Views:	336 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	39760

Scout ship's probably done, and I'm starting in on the carrier. So far I've spent most of my time tweaking the numbers and size of the thing so that it fits within the rules, has the silhouette I want, and is close to the right size. As it is, I'm going to have to turn two of the scout ships around so that they're facing aft in order to fit them on there. I think it will make the ship more interesting to look at, though. Anyway, as a result of the tweaks, the vessel has grown to 1100 tons. The circular diagram in the upper left is a little reference for me to see approximately how much area each deck will have relative to the others.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	progress_combo_001.png 
Views:	228 
Size:	426.8 KB 
ID:	39767  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

The same thought as ravells had, crossed my mind, too.
    But as long as the bottom-side of the wing-tips are at least an additional 50% of the main-ships hull radius from the fixpoints than four ships with that wingspan could fit. If the underside of the wings is lower than ravell is right, either the connection points need to stretch out more - or you could put three shuttles onto it...

I whipped up a quick 3d model to reality check myself and make sure that they'll actually fit. Looks like I'm okay.

Name:	layout_poc.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	39835  

Thats an interesting solution - on the handdrawn sketch all four looked in flight direction...

Docking must be done with a margin of error within centimeters anyway, I do not see a reason for a Pilot +4 for that *g*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast