Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [WiP] Dheghom

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map [WiP] Dheghom

After a sudden bout of nostalgia I decided to update my DnD campaign world from highschool.

Name:  original.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  7.3 KB
    This is a rough sketch of the decade old map I would be working on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outline.png 
Views:	263 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	39693
    After a dozen iterations I've more or less settled on this for the new coastline. This was drawn entirely in inkscape. You may notice some bits of the coastline that look suspiciously like Norway, Australia or Korea.

Name:	propmap.png 
Views:	555 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	39694
    This is a quick woodcut version I threw together. Idea for the strange travel notes was lifted from Greg Stolze's Reign maps. I borrowed the compass rose from a post by Tilt. This version was done in inkscape and gimp.

Name:	atlas3.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	39695
    This is the satellite style version I've been working on, done entirely in gimp with the exception of the imported coastline. I used a heavily modified version of Ascension's atlas method.

I plan on tweaking both versions, adding lakes and rivers, doing some minor coastline fixes, and making a political/cultural map.

Suggestions and criticism welcome.

Wow! That's pretty exhaustive! I don't think I can add any comments at this point, because it looks great. Maybe on the satellite style map I'd add a bit of continental shelf, right now it looks like the western edges of the lands are floating above a sea of glass ...

Suggestions.... hmmm. "Keep up the good work". "Please post more often". "We'd definitely love to see works in progress for this kind of stuff." You mean like that?

Commentary ... well "this stuff is made out of awesome", and "freakin' lovely woodcut, sir" spring to mind. Also "nice - a continent with an appropriate selection of islands".

Criticisms.... well, the northern coast and the northern passage have coastlines that look like fjords, or some level of drowned roughness, but most of the mountains don't match that. You have the "all mountains are bare rock" disease (well, mild illness...) - it'd be fine to run your forest colors a ways up their flanks. For that matter, if the colors indicate landcover and climate, you could get a little more plausible with placement of the dry zone. Like, pick a latitude and extent, and 'dry out' the areas of 30-ish N & S, and wetten the areas around equator & 60 N or S. Pick some prevailing winds - there's guidance in a number of threads herein if you want to get compulsive, or stick with simple stuff - and apply some of the "wetter on upwind side of mountains / drier downwind" effect.

I bet the currents in those long skinny straits are absolutely evil ! I like the travel tips :-). And thank you for jumping in with a bang - that's repworthy even if the work you show wasn't also great stuff !

That woodcut version is covered in awesome-sauce! Great job all around so far. I look forward to seeing more! Have some rep, sir!

"The tigers can speak, do not listen to them"
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

I made a post yesterday but the forum seems to have swallowed it.

Anyways thanks for the comments! I got a little work in.

Name:	atlas4.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	39748
    - Added a contenietal shelf as per Lukc's suggestion. It's pretty sutble I'll probably tinker with it some more.
    - Greenified the mountains and added some roughness around the fjords as to jbgibson's post. I want to revisit the elevation around that part to put in some proper detail later. The climate zones are actually supernaturally influenced in this setting, but I have gone in and greened up the coastlines a little.
    - Speaking of supernatural climates, one of the main influences is 'Ahwa. Through most of the world it appears as a bright red star which always points towards Mount Erum (a mountain in the center of the desert), but when one enters the Red Desert it inexpicalbly starts to grow. It becomes larger and larger as one nears Erum. At the base of the mountain it is as large and feirce as the noonday sun, except it never sets. A few strange plants gain sustenance from 'Ahwa's scarlet light, but little else survies in the wasteland. Anyways I redrew 'Ahwa's glow on the map.
    - I also added a layer of lowland elevation.
    - I darkened the isle in the middle of the circular sea as it's supposed to be an obsidian peak.
    - I flattened out the plateau above the circular sea which is the site of a massive kingdom sized city built by the gods who have long since fled the world. I'm currently struggling with how best to represent the city. In reality it would probably just look like a big grey blob from this far back. Here's my current attempt:

Name:	cityshot.jpg 
Views:	725 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	39749
    I don't really like the looks of it, but I'm unsure how to fix it right now.

Name:	cityshot.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	39754
    Here's version two. I made the city circular, added a gradient backdrop, and buffed up the landscape around it. It's better than before but I'm still not sold on it.

Fantastic looking that gigantic city looks like a massive ossified growth or bacterium (which, in this context, is a good thing)

Haha, thanks.

I redid the city again. This time with an overlay of concentric circles which grow lighter towards the center. I like the elevated effect it produces after embossing.

Name:	cityshot2.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	39765

I've also started work on another prop style map for the same world.

Name:	artmap.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	39766

Updated the new map. It's inspired by that chinese map of the world that was supposedly from the 1400s, so I've ran with that theme.

Name:	artmap3.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	39773

River police I summon thee!

I finished my first draft of rivers for Dheghom. This isn't a totally comprehensive river map it just shows significant rivers. I just want to make sure it makes sense more or less. Story trumps science here so although total realism isn't my aim I do want as much verisimilitude as possible.

Mountains are roughly sketched in as grey blobs for reference.

There are a couple of notes:
    1 - This is actually an old river bed. The far east branch still sees a small amount of flow but it drains into the sands of the desert.
    2 - This lake drains into an everglades style wetlands.
    3 - This lake is fed by a seemly magical spring. It has been used to feed a canal system to the south. Further south the canals feed into old river beds. (Canals have yet to be properly detailed)
    4 - This fast moving river cuts a canyon through the dry countryside. It is completely unnavigable.
    5 - Slow moving shallow river that is easily crossed except during the spring when fording is impossible. It is either too shallow or too fierce to navigate in anything bigger than a canoe.

Name:	map13.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	677.1 KB 
ID:	40000

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast