Thread: Question re: CC3+FT3

Question Question re: CC3+FT3

Hi all!

I wanted to float this question by all you knowledgable folks.

I have a map I created in CC3. The map covers an area roughly the size of Europe; the continent is intended to extend well beyond the eastern and southern borders of the map. I'd like to export the map into FT3 and extend those parts of the map outwards, building the rest of the world there before re-exporting to CC3 for adding towns, natural features and so forth.

So here's my question--if I export my map to FT3 will it recognize those straight-line borders (caused by the edge of the map) for what they are and let me build thereafter, or will this create difficulties in FT3? Secondly, once exported into FT3 will I still be able to add continents and land, or will I be limited to what I originally laid out in CC3?

I'd just experiment to find out, but I'm travelling now and not close to my desktop.

Thanks in advance for any advice; finding this forum a godsend so far!

FT won't recognize the edges of the data. There are things that you can do to teach it about the edges of the data, though, such importing your world data, using Tools>>Action>>Burn In To Surface, the using a selection that represents your map area to restore the roughness to areas outside your map area (Tools>>Global Set>>Roughness to 1). You can use any of the FT tools from that point to adjust things. You'll need to do manual blending across the boundaries of your image block , for example, to make them less obvious.

It's probably easier to just load your CC3 image as an Image Overlay in FT and manually paint your outlines, though.

Beautiful; thanks for the pointers, Waldronate! I'll give this a try as soon as possible.