Thread: Zoomify express

Blog Entries

Default Zoomify express

http://www.zoomify.com/express.htm

I found this while looking for things similar to Deep Zoom Composer since it often crashes for me and I'm having trouble trying to make a map legend and title that doesn't scale with the map itself.

Although this isn't as slick as DZC it's also free, (which is for me! ) .
    Last edited by Revock; 11-07-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Blog Entries

I've been experimenting with IIPImage, image server. If anyone else has ever used it, I'm looking for how to serve maps with it, since I don't need a real map server. I've got it working, serving my map but I'd like to have the map legend and such overlay on it's flash viewer window. customize the controls etc.

I'm using Xnview for stitching the map together from 2000x2000 images and imagemagick to convert to pyramidal .tif for IIPImage to serve it

IIPImage can serve images for Deep Zoom composer or Zoomify, plus it has it's own flash object, and some other options. The ultimate goal is to be able to create a world map for the NWN2 server i play on, either by configuring it for the site admins if they like my maps or by just serving it, and my own world map from my netbook using a free DDNS account.

I got everything going including Apache, just need advice on free software to modify the free flash object from the download and any other advice you all can give. I'll post a link in wips i guess, when i get the DDNS set up and everything moved over to the netbook. otherwise the netbook doesn't get used often.
    Last edited by Revock; 11-11-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen1117.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	40046

A window shot of the IIpimage server, serving an embedded version of my current mapping project. Please excuse the simplistic web page design the nice thing is you can overlay things on the image server window like the old paper using the included Java client. The flash client is much faster but, so far as i know you can't overlay stuff on a flash window.

Quote Originally Posted by Revock View Post
    I've been experimenting with IIPImage, image server. If anyone else has ever used it, I'm looking for how to serve maps with it, since I don't need a real map server. I've got it working, serving my map but I'd like to have the map legend and such overlay on it's flash viewer window. customize the controls etc.

I'm using Xnview for stitching the map together from 2000x2000 images and imagemagick to convert to pyramidal .tif for IIPImage to serve it

IIPImage can serve images for Deep Zoom composer or Zoomify, plus it has it's own flash object, and some other options. The ultimate goal is to be able to create a world map for the NWN2 server i play on, either by configuring it for the site admins if they like my maps or by just serving it, and my own world map from my netbook using a free DDNS account.

I got everything going including Apache, just need advice on free software to modify the free flash object from the download and any other advice you all can give. I'll post a link in wips i guess, when i get the DDNS set up and everything moved over to the netbook. otherwise the netbook doesn't get used often.
    Thanks for the pointer - looks like a neat project!

Maybe you could put together a small tutorial on preparing the images?

-Rob A>

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Sure,, for setting up Apache and IIPImage server the dev's site documentation was fine, I did have some problems with the suggested conversion command on the site. Through trial and error and looking at the help for imagemagick within the command prompt window i came up with the following using ImageMagick-6.7.3-5 standalone:
    original command given in IIPImage docs. : convert s -define tiff:tile-geometry=256x256 -compress jpeg 'ptif.tif'
    where s=source image o=ouput image

I just opened a command prompt, dropped the imagemagick convert.exe icon into the window, dropped my source image into the window (i had moved a copy of the original .jpg into the image magick folder to keep things simpler) and added the tiff options and output name at the end, like so:

C:\Documents and settings\yourname>F:\Downloads\ImageMagick-6.7.3-5\convert.exe F:\Downloads\ImageMagick-6.7.3-5\minduril.jpg -define tiff:tile-geometry=256x256 -compress jpeg ptif:minduril.tif

The output image ends up in your documents folder on c drive

I've yet to try configuring advanced options in any of the clients or things such as overlaying one image on top of another in the client window. I think that'd be very nice for things like a button on someone's site to see the path of a famous army on its march to conquest, weather, underdark areas etc.

One of the demos on the dev site uses those overlay features for xray, etc. images overlayed on a painting.

I was happy enough for now to be able to have my webpage overlap the image server window. I'll make something more detailed for a tut after i learn more myself. *edit* oops my bad, the imagemagick version i used is called portable, not "standalone" link: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/bi...tatf05#windows
    Last edited by Revock; 11-18-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Help Gimp question

For the Gimp Guru RobA,,,It's a pity I can't seem to make the tiled pyramidal tif images directly in gimp. I can open them but trying to save it results in Gimp demanding to merge the layers, Xnview can save a multipage .tif but the required file must be tiled and multires, the only programs I've come across for that are ImageMagick and VIPS, I'm hoping that once the .tif is prepared for the server I'd be able to replace the highest zoom tiles with ones showing additional labels or with some labels removed (Island and country for instance which will be larger) that'd allow for villages and towns etc. to be more readable and uncluttered when you zoom in.

My idea is to hide and show different label layers in Gimp save multiple versions, generate two or maybe more sets of tiled pyramidal tifs and "shuffle the deck" in Xnview. Any ideas for that or a plugin/script for Gimp to do it directly via Gimp would be helpful. I've searched the plugin repository but can't find anything to do it.