Thread: Greetings

Guild Applicant

Default Greetings

Hello. I found your site through a Google search and found the basic tutorials you have available to be so appealing that I decided to sign up to your whole forum. I've got some terrible sketches of a material plane I made years ago that I would one day like to turn into something nicer looking, plus a brain child I recently developed I call Metrodeum. Essentially I will need to draft an atlas to accurately depict this city, and I am fine with that. I hope to use GIMP since it's free, and seems to have a lot that I can accomplish with it once I learn how.

I currently work at an oil-service company as an operations monitor. Monitoring the drilling progress of oil wells is dreadfully boring, and I don't recommend ever doing it unless you like money.

working on drilling is 'dreadfully boring' ....was the pun intended?

Welcome to the Guild, DG, Gimp is a great (free) tool, but also check out Inkscape which is also free but a vector based application. Many people prefer to use Inkscape for labelling maps (much faster) after they have drawn them in gimp. If you're after mapping a city, vector can often be more compatible (depending on your workflow and what you want to achieve).

Enjoy your stay here!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.