Thread: Oldtown

Map Oldtown

Well I'm still trying to learn the basics of CC3. Had some free time tonight so I just put a small town together. Please feel free to comment. I used the lovely symbols from the annuals 2007 while creating it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldtown.PNG 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	2583  

That, is a nice map. I love the annuals. They bring a lot of new options to the program.

Shame I have never enough time to play with all the various annuals (that being one version I have yet to play with )
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Nifty! I really like that monochromatic effect, and from what I can tell so far your layout is interesting and realistic (although those docks are huge!).

Looking forward to seeing the next stage of evolution here--with great interest!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

OK so I've done som editing on the map. Changed the docks (yes they where a bit huge) and put some effects on the citywall. I think the docks is a big improvement....not so sure about the walls. What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldtown2.PNG 
Views:	109 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	2631  

I think this looks great, Clercon. A nice map! Were I to offer suggestions, I think we're to the personal preference level, meaning features of which I am not overly fond, but not things "wrong" with the map (like the grass fill).

Where do you plan to go next, or is this a done deal?
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    I think this looks great, Clercon. A nice map! Were I to offer suggestions, I think we're to the personal preference level, meaning features of which I am not overly fond, but not things "wrong" with the map (like the grass fill).

Where do you plan to go next, or is this a done deal?
    Next step will be to put some text in the map. Like name of town etc. After that I think i consider it done. The town was created cause i wanted to do something while learning CC3. So probably i do something new and bring the experience from this map to that project.

Never used the program myself, but the map looks very clean.

I would be interested to know how the town came about though, since it looks like there are 2 big lakes on both sides.

Was it colonized then a canal was built to allow ships to travel from one lake to another?

If so, you could implement a "Locks" in there, which the town would charge a tax for. Would explain how such a town is thriving without any real noticable crops in the area.

Just a couple of thoughts.

But like i said, it looks great!
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.