Thread: Ridgeburry (WIP)

Wip Ridgeburry (WIP)

Ok so this will be my first shot of working digital with a town!

Town info:
    This small town sprouted along a ridge that overlooked a lake between two major towns. Being a couple of day apat each, it seemed like a perfect place to build a Inn that over looked the lake from the top of the ridge. After a year of prospering greatly, more people flocked to the area. Farmers first, then a few varied merchents scattered about. Though the town is still very small, the recent growth has been booming, and the town is begining to grow exponentialy.

Thought it would be a good idea to have some of my characters try to grab some prime realestate and help a community grow.

Please give your comments and whatnot!
    This is just a pencil sketch, wanted some advice before i killed it with the pen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ridgeburry Town.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	2717  
    Last edited by Kagehito; 03-11-2008 at 10:07 PM.
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.

Since this town is springing up to serve the inn traffic, one of those buildings across the road from the inn will almost certainly be a smith and/or wainwright. As such, it should have a large yard, and possibly a corral for horses.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I was thinking the same thing, So i'll add that in there!

Anything else?
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.

I think you should stop there. The inn gives you plenty of opportunity for adventure hooks, and the smith is good for keeping the PCs' weapons and armor in good repair. Let them grab some land and decide what to do with it.

You'll want to have a site in mind where they can build a fort to defend against the raids and highwaymen that you will undoubtedly inflict upon them.

You didn't mention what kind of traffic will be coming through here nor how far it is to the nearest other settlement. Depending on the wealth of the travellers, there might be a market for some entertainment, or perhaps a restaurant. Those things will likewise spur population growth and bring along their own difficulties and opportunities.

It sounds like a fun thing to take up the downtime between adventures and give the PCs a stronger connection to the game world.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Ok so the ink work is done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ridgeburry Town ink.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	2719  

Looking good.

(and wow--nice feedback, Bryan!!! Very helpful & specific.)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Well its technically a two story with a balcony on the east end suite for the richer clients.

Thanks for the visual though! I should look into doing research ahead of time... can't rely of just my inner brain workings alone...