Thread: Watercolour on Paper

Default Watercolour on Paper

Hello there,

I'm working on a new map (2nd version of the board game I made a while ago).

I would like to achieve a watercolour on paper style like this map made by RjBeals or Quabbe's Caeruin map.

I've tried several things but I can't quite get the same result. Right now I am working with Inkscape on Linux. Even as I try to use a high quality paper texture as sublay or semi-transparent overlay, and as I use the texture effects like watercolor or felt, I can't seem to match this quality. I really like this style and it's really frustrating not to be able to achieve it.

Any guidance would be most welcome.
    Thanks
    Benjamin

Oh well, perhaps I do know how to make watercolour. Here is what I'm working on so far, what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map3.png 
Views:	741 
Size:	3.66 MB 
ID:	39842  
    Last edited by jesuisbenjamin; 11-10-2011 at 06:30 PM.

I think it looks pretty, but the coasts seem a bit eaten away compared to the maps I'm used to ... various peninsulae* seem very thin.

*and the octopi so love their peninsulae extensive and fulsome ...

With "penninsulae seem very thin" you're not talking about the texture, but about the coastline itself right?
    If so I used a SVG from Wikimedia. I'm not trying to make it geographically perfect, it suits the purpose and that's what matters.
    I like octopi ... nom nom nom.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

I make all my textures & effects using grunge overlays in photoshop. Just find a good pattern that fits, and paste as new layer, and then just change the blending options to either overlay or multiply or just experiment with different settings until you find something you like.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

speaking of Europe, here's my latest map (Work in Progress).Medieval Europe. Not completed yet, but a nice grungy texture. Looks like you are also creating a strategy Europe game map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f662040654fdc1b64a1de693617b6f62.png 
Views:	1069 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	40129

Thanks I'm working with Inkscape, perhaps Gimp would have similar filters too.