Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Skyrim

Stop complaining about console-to-PC Port issues and get a PS3! Hehe...no seriously, it's amazing on PS3 XD

I haven't played it but I do own a few controllers for my PC so I'm just not getting how console/pc is a problem. Buy a good controller you like, and then program the buttons to what you need sit back and go to town.

Let us know what you think Ramah if you decide to go for it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Engris View Post
    Stop complaining about console-to-PC Port issues and get a PS3! Hehe...no seriously, it's amazing on PS3 XD
    My wife gets to play it on the PS3, I get to play it on the PC ;D If it were any other game, I probably would prefer to play it on the PS3, but the PC versions of the Elder Scrolls games get the construction kit, which means I'll be able to tweak and refine the game to my heart's delight, fixing anything I don't like about the game. Also, after a few months, there will be about a bajillion mods to choose from to play with as well

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I haven't played it but I do own a few controllers for my PC so I'm just not getting how console/pc is a problem. Buy a good controller you like, and then program the buttons to what you need sit back and go to town.

Let us know what you think Ramah if you decide to go for it.
    Will do, Jax. I'm pretty much sure I'll get it but I'm glad I've managed to resist so far.

This thread seems to confirm everything else I've read about it. Rubbish ported interface for the PC. Some bugs. Good game. I've read that the load times are a lot faster on the PC and the graphics were supposed to be better but there are a load of people moaning about textures being really low res when up close. Meh.

I'm also glad that they haven't started putting exclamation marks above questgivers heads. In my opinion they already dumbed it down too much in Oblivion by making the compass and map display where you are supposed to be going. Sounds like they've carried that over to Skyrim. :s What's wrong with actually reading some instructions and then using that information to work stuff out yourself? For Oblivion I downloaded some mods that took all that crap out of the interface but as I never got into the game anyway they just took up hdd space.
    One of the things I disliked about Oblivion was the really rubbish character facial graphics. I preferred Morrowind. The graphics in Oblivion were supposed to be so much better but it had these cold, lifeless eyes in the middle of stretched, shiny faces... they looked awful. Combined with the fact that the so-called AI on NPCs made them just stand around or just move between two points mechanically totally ruined them for me. The Morrowind NPCs were no smarter but somehow had more charm.
    Are the NPCs in Skyrim better? Graphically and AI wise?

Incidentally, I watched the trailer for Skyrim the other day and hearing that rousing Elder Scrolls theme music really made me want to reinstall Morrowind.
    Last edited by Ramah; 11-15-2011 at 06:21 AM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

@Preypacer: don't get me wrong, a lot of things are really good, but there's a few bugs that really ... erm ... bug me

@Ramah: I think the NPCs look a bit better, yeah. There's still a few silly, lifeless things, but in general they're fine (though I play from a 3rd person pov mostly ... so ...)

As an aside, a simple way to level up: get a lot of leather, cut up strips at the tanner and start manufacturing ... leather bracers. 2 strips, 1 leather and you raise your smithing score. My goal right now is to get up to 100 smithing, to make me some dragon armor, since I've got so many bones and scales lying around the house, it's like a charnel house

PS - I also eventually found out how to put quest markers up on the map and compass.

PPS - And, I found out, eventually, how to put things into containers. That was a struggle! I really wish they had a nice simple mouse interface, like, say Fallout 3: New Vegas.

PPPS - And I recommend using the console to change the field of view a bit, to get a wider view in 1st person. The default just feels really constricted to me. I'm running it on fov 90 now.
    Last edited by Lukc; 11-15-2011 at 04:12 AM.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bought skyrim on 11/11 and put in about 30h of gameplay since then (which is an insane amount for me these days).

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    Well, from what I've seen of Skyrim at a friend's place, the thing that struck me right off the bat is that it's a console-to-PC port, which means that the mouse is not used very well in the interfaces ... for example, you have to scroll through menu items instead of just clicking them. But I haven't tried any more of it so far.
    Yes, this is an issue. But frankly, you get used to it fairly quickly. I still hope they fix it (there are some things I don't think are intended).

Just remember that WASD is your friend, and TAB exits and you should be good. Everything else is usually displayed in the lower left corner.

As for the game in general, I find it highly addictive. First good "exploration" game I have seen since Fallout 3 (yes, I know). There are some issues I have wit it - generally, there are not enough options in dialogs. I mean, I don't need Bioware-Style storylines, but if I someone sends thugs my way, and I find the contract on their bodies, signed by NPC X, at least let me talk to NPC X and either threaten him or pay some money or whatever.

Dragons are the best I have EVER seen in a game, they behave (mostly) like you'd imagine a dragon to behave and they are scary as ****.

I didn't get overly far in the storyline so can't really comment on later parts of the game.

Oh, yeah. Graphics are AWESOME even on my way-underpowered rig, so this should be a GREAT foundation for modders. I have an idea or two that'd I'd love to work on but I really don't think I will find the time.

I'm loving every minute of it.

Well, my friend decided that the graphics weren't good enough, since by default, as a console port, the game is set to use 2gb of RAM and no more, the gamma is set wrong for HDR graphics, etc. ... so he's taken off into the Skyrim modding forums and I've been playing it a bit more.

And what have I been doing? To hell with the storyline ... we have armor and weapon smithing! ... a few hours later and I've gained 10 levels smithing and am equipped in full legendary dragon plate with a legendary war axe. Oh, I can level by holding my shield up to a wolf naow? Ok, there's a show I wanted to watch anyway ... ... a few hours later I wander off and kill a giant in three blows, losing almost no health.

Gods, I wish there was a classic character sheet, so I could see how much more hard-core the character is now than at level 1 ... hitpoints wise the difference isn't so big, but there's a number that says my armor is now around 500.

Lol.

Been playing it on the XBox 360 and enjoying it. I'm obsessed with smithing for some reason (though I have not gotten to the dragon armor level yet...but I will. Oh yes. I will). Mostly just been wandering around and exploring and ignoring the main storyline (I'll get to saving the world...eventually. Right now there is a cave over there I need to loot). The bow combat sucks without targeting. But I've generally always been a up-close-nd-bludgeoning sort anyway. I use Lydia as bait to bring the dragons in since she uses a bow, and then pounce on it when it lands. I'm assuming we haven't seen the "big" dragons yet because the dragons I've encountered so far were relatively easy. I'm guessing as the story progresses the nastier ones will start making appearances.

I've spent the little time I've had between work and school/hw (mapping has taken a back seat for the moment sadly...) but I love it, the interface took some time to get use to, but after a day or so of playing it, I realized oh wait I'm on the computer and I bet people already have mods out. I go search and look what I find, all sorts of goodies. Higher res textures for the dragons and humanoid races, you can hard-wire the controls if you really want (a tutorial for that). Also the 2gb can be changed to run at a 4gb or whatever. And all sorts of other stuff out there that enhance the game 100%. So needless to say the only issue I've seen with it so far is the interface, which is simple to learn.... As for the range stuff, I love it, but than again I've always been a huge fan of the "twitch" style of fighting, like in Mount and Blade, and other games that follow suit. Thing is though I find myself using a bow, and magic a lot more as the game goes on, I use the sword to deal with large fights and other situations that require impossible angles to where you can't use ranged stuff... (hmm sounds much like real life...) I think they hit it right on the head if you ask me, we all have played way to many "arcade" style games where all you do is put your self in the right place point the right direction and mash buttons, its about time they made games a challenge. Oh and as for dragons, some are easy, others are a pain the in the ass, I've had to reload 15 times on a dang blood dragon when I was on at a lower level, eventually had to use town guards to help take it down.... But I'd say its worth it, its sucked away many of my hours that I should of been doing hw =D
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast