Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Skyrim

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

Not yet, but I am going to be heading to Rifken soon so that should get em the Thieves Guild stuff.

I've also earned a whole slew of Dragon Shouts, but can't use them because you don't fight dragons until you get through the first one in the main story

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Don't DO this to me!!!

@ Joey, Blimey...so have you not got into any of the Thieve's Guild and dark brotherhood stuff?

Ha! I did some of that but there were some things they wanted me to do that were just too dastardly...I've a mind to go in there and take them all out.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Funny you should say that Jax. I distinctly remember having a moral dilemma before reminding myself that it was just a game. Then I became terribly heartless and killed lots of innocents.

**** HIGHLIGHT THE SPACE BELOW TO SEE MORE (SPOILER AHEAD)*****

The saddest/funniest one was the bard assassination. A contract was put out on him because his singing was so bad. When you meet the guy, he's an OK sort of bloke that you feel a bit sorry for...

Quote Originally Posted by loogie View Post
    First off.. I'm going to say I've never truely played Skyrim, or even Oblivion, in more than a... got past the intro, made a character... wandered for a bit.. and then quit.... Like some others, I found that Morrowind was probably my favourite TES game so far, even tho it had a ton of things wrong with it as well.......etc. etc.
    Wasn't going to quote the whole thing. I don't mean to offend you sir, but I disagree with nearly every point you made in that post =/ While there are some small improvements that could be made, it is an absolutely epic game. First off, while it would be great if the combat wasn't as swingy arm thing like you said, I still find it very fun. You have to remember that they had to make this game translatable from console to keyboard (even though from what I've heard it sucks with keyboard). With magic, your rune system sounds interesting, but you can't make it too complicated just to cast a fireball. If it was like that, the dragon would nom your face before you put all the runes together in time =/ To me, the system of having the spell in your hand in Skyrim is excellent, it makes it simple and user friendly.
    Now with the open world. Skyrim and other TES games are definitely not like other games. Yes they have a linear story line, but what's a game without some sort of main story (excluding sandbox games like Minecraft). Aside from the main story, you can do hundreds of other quests, or not even do quests. In Skyrim, you can go out and explore wherever you want, you can own a house, you can hunt deer, storm bandit fortresses, invade orc towns, become a master of smithing, and much more. Its not all about quests, its about freedom to interact however you wish in a world that also happens to quests in case you aren't feeling spontaneous!
    If open world games had no form of a storyline, then it wouldn't be the same. Bethesda could do that if they wanted, but it would be a completely different game. Sure there'd be many things to do, but how would they end up having a purpose? If theres no storyline, then where do you go when you don't feel like exploring, or fortress storming? It would be more of a sandbox game...
    Now with the dynamic world...Skyrim is actually quite a dynamic world. The NPCs do in fact move around when you arent nearby. Some travel between towns at random times. Some go picking flowers in the forest! (Some of the alchemist NPCs) Now, while your ideas about the armor and goods available based on nearby resources are great ideas, it would make things overly complicated. Sometimes, even though ideas like that are great for making a world more dynamic, it really just makes the game more complicated and less fun.

To me, you just need to play into the game further before you judge every flaw you find in it. Skyrim really is a fantastic game. No game is perfect, you just have to enjoy it for what it is. /rant over

Yeah ravs, I have a real issue in planting evidence on an innocent just because he's kicking your butt in business. Even though it's a game I just can't bring myself to do it. Plus, like you, I fear that if I go there I'll become so heartless I'll just start mugging everyday farmers for the thrill of it. The worst thing I did so far was kill an old woman but she had it coming I'd say. She was horrible.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hello! I've also been playing TES since Morrowind, and I have to say that while Skyrim is a quite enjoyable game, as a bit of an old-school RPG junkie I find the mechanics (drastically simplified since Morrowind) to be lacking. However, I understand the reason (to appeal to the masses) that such a direction has been taken, and given the depth of the world I don't believe the game suffers too much for it. That said, combat has definitely seen some improvement, and crafting is an example of a great addition to the series introduced in Skyrim- even though it could probably be a bit more fleshed out. Likewise, I would have hoped that Skyrim would move beyond the contrived "one player house per town" design found in Oblivion, to something a bit more interactive. As far as to Tamriel's relevance to worldbuilding discussion goes, I think that as a world it represents a mix of some good and a few bad decisions/qualities. Let's see... what else to say... my character was a thief/mage Argonian named Reptar, and married Ysolda.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456