Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed Practice Village Map

Wip Unnamed Practice Village Map

[Side note before I even begin. I'm currently burning a candle called Twisted Peppermint, and oh my God it smells so good. Just saying. Seriously. Yum! Now on to my post:]

Someone recommended watching Butch Curry's Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop on YouTube and I did. Watched the whole series and then last night went to the start and attempted to follow his tutorial. I haven't done all of it yet, but I wanted to share it and ask if you guys think it looks good or stupid I'm just doing this to practice some techniques on Photoshop which I had never used before. My graphic arts program experience is all from Paint Shop Pro 7 (which I still love!), but it's not the same at all. [OMG candle smells like candy canes... can I eat the hot wax?]

I've only done up to where he has just shown his way of doing water areas, so I have a lake and a forest so far. And the 'aged' paper. What do you all think? Am I doing okay for a newb at mapping and PS? [How the heck do I add a picture... Did I attach it right?]

Edited 11/13/2011 to add nearly finished project! What do you think?

Edited 11/13/2011 [again] to add finished project!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old map attempt.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	636.8 KB 
ID:	39870 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old map attempt 2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	478.6 KB 
ID:	39915 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old map attempt.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	757.2 KB 
ID:	39919
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	105 
Size:	475.4 KB 
ID:	39913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old map attempt.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	749.5 KB 
ID:	39918  
    Last edited by ChicagoMay; 11-14-2011 at 12:06 AM.

You're doing great! The paper texture is a bit strong for my taste, but I really like the way the trees have turned out! Nice water inking too. Those Butch Curry videos really rock!

Have some reputation for a great start!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    The paper texture is a bit strong for my taste...
    Mine too actually, I just wanted to keep moving haha. I will probably go back to those layers a few videos from now when he shows me how to make it look like the 'drawings' are actually on the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Have some reputation for a great start!
    Lol, I have no idea what this means but yay! Thanks for your feedback. I'ma go look at your portfolio now haha.

It's looking nice. If you ask me, the texture's not too strong if that's the effect you're going for

I like the trees as well, I can just imagine a little rabbit tribe hiding in there, building mound cities.

I absolutely love the style this map is being created in. Keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    I can just imagine a little rabbit tribe hiding in there, building mound cities.
    Oh my God, that's EXACTLY what is going on in there! There is actually two tribes though, and they are feuding. I have a feeling that there will be a Romeo and Juliet type plot going on in there, if not now, soon.

Guild Apprentice

Yeah, I agree, it's looking really good. I like the style too.

Edited original post to add nearly finished map! I have like two videos left to watch but I'm not sure how much it'll change so for now it is only nearly finished.

I added more trees around the edge to make it look like there were trees where the ripped paper is. I've named my forest, lake, and village. Thanks to Lukc, it was easy to pick a name for the forest. I went with the rabbit idea and then translated it from English to... Finish? I think. Google translator was used. Made up some names for the lake and the village. Added lots of buildings and some docks, as well as a mini forest. I also went and changed the paper texture because it was too heavy for my liking.

Please, let me know what you think! Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	155 
Size:	478.6 KB 
ID:	39915
    ~May

I remember going through these tutorials when I first started to pick up photoshop too as they are pretty good. It's looking good although you might consider adding a stroke to your text to make it pop more.

Ahh.. Yes this tutorial, mines pretty bad! Yours is nice, definitely the trees... Good job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast