Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop CS6 Extended rocks!

Default Photoshop CS6 Extended rocks!

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Photoshop CS6 Extended (from v7.0). What a difference! At first glance, everything looked pretty much the same. But after watching a few videos, I started seeing all sorts of cool new additions and time-saving modifications to existing commands. I'm really looking forward to my next project so I can really dig into it.

Sadly, I had to push back getting my first tablet though. Hopefully next month.

Good to know I also start using Photoshop CS6 Extended and it really rocks. There is so much more here to see.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

I'd like to have this. I'm still using CS4 and probably will be for a while given the cost. I can see why you had to push back the tablet...the package is crazy expensive.
    M

And the tablet will change the game even more...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I haven't jumped ship to CS6 yet. What are the major advantages? Any particular cool new tricks to watch out for?

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I haven't jumped ship to CS6 yet. What are the major advantages? Any particular cool new tricks to watch out for?
    I came from v7.0 so a great deal is new to me. Not sure what is new since cs5, but there is a lot of talk about speed increases across the board due to the new mercury engine.

The big changes (from v7.0) are the addition of 3d and video editing. I wasn't aware of these until I upgraded so they made a nice surprise. I had heard of content-aware moves and how easy they were but the significance doesn't really sink in til you experience it. I found an image of a field with a tree on the right side. I moved the tree to the left side and it looks completely natural. I watched a 10-min video to learn how and then did it in half that time. I'm still amazed at how easy it was. I never could have done that in v7.

The most impressive changes for me is that everything is faster and editing changes are dynamic. With many commands, I was used to getting a popup, entering values, clicking ok, and then seeing the changes. For instance, when setting a drop shadow you can drag the drop shadow around with the mouse and see the modifications as you go. That sort of thing makes it easier to stay in the moment instead of being distracted with settings.

I'm sure there are lots of other changes that I'm not even aware of yet. I'd definitely say that it was well worth the money!

Ow wow, upgrading from 7? Try this out: Right-click a layer, convert to a smart object, then apply a Gaussian blur to it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Beside the price, this is perhaps the biggest reason I haven't considered Photoshop yet.... I don't understand their version-system.

Why is 6 an upgrade to 7? Shouldn't it be 8?

PS 7 was before the new Creative Suite naming system, IIRC. I think I had PS v6 or v7...sometime in the late 90s. All of the CS products had a previous life with different version numbers...Illustrator was on 9 or 10 or something. Then they integrated them and started selling them as the Creative Suite. Now that's on version 6...also called CS6.

If I've got something wrong somebody please correct me.
    M

Nope, that's exactly right. They wanted to harmonize the version numbers, make it easier to buy the bundles, and reduce the confusion over whether people were eligible for upgrade pricing (unfortunately, as of CS6, the new answer is "you're not"). The side effect of that is that now they release new versions on a set schedule, whether or not there are enough features in all the products to justify it. Photoshop and After Effects usually get enough new features to be worth upgrading, but other software, like Encore, get almost nothing.

So in some ways it's good, but in others it's bad.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast