Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lir - Cor Regional Map

Map Lir - Cor Regional Map

Here is a second map done in the same style as the Stormmount region map. One of the big differences between the two maps is that I reduced the size of the ridgeline marks between 10-20 pixels.

I've also added a simple compass rose and scale. As before everything was done using Photoshop CS2.

For a little background on this project, it is something I've been developing for a GURPS 4th edition campaign that my group will undertake soon. Many of the ideas and places have been floating around in my head for a few years, but only now is anything being put down on paper.

I plan for this set of maps and the accompanying journal text (yet to be developed) to be standard PC handouts (With the backstory being they are common copies of the last Imperial survey completed prior to the empires withdrawl from the region about 20 years in the past.)

Now its time to get the journal entries completed and then start mapping out the cities, ruins, and other more campaign/adventure specific buildings and locations.

Thanks for looking,

Tareth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lir - Cor Region.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	2708  

This is a style I'm not quite used to, but I think it turned out really well.

The locations look good, and the overall feel is very clean.

One tech question for you though: The elevation lines, how did you get the "arrow" effect?
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.

This captures the style of a survey map very well! I can guess most of the symbols, but assume that there will be a key provided in the journal?

Kagehito - I could tell you how to do it in Gimp or Inkscape, but will leave the photoshop answer to Tareth

-Rob A>

i think this is a big improvement from the last one.

Very nice.

Tareth - Beautiful. I agree that it is a big improvement over the first.

Two comments:
    1. (I believe that this was brought up in the previous, but -- ) There are times when the arrows don't follow their curve that well. Although it might take some time, cleaning that up (even if manually) might improve the overall map.
    2. I don't like the symbol for the towns. All of the other symbols look like paint on parchment, but the round, dark-gray, with some additional detail symbols for the towns do not match the style of the rest of the map. (IMHO)

Very nice! I liked the first map quite a bit, but this one is a big improvement. Care to share that compass rose? It's pretty!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

awesome style tareth, although your compass says north is up... yet you have the east fort to the left and the west fort to the right... explain?
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Quote Originally Posted by Airith View Post
    awesome style tareth, although your compass says north is up... yet you have the east fort to the left and the west fort to the right... explain?
    Hey, I once had a Place known as "Port Town", which rested at the top of a mountian....

Never question the methods of the egocentric people that tend to name places in fantasy worlds....
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.

Blog Entries

Awesome - if you keep this up you would have quite a staggering campaign land.

Great map Tareth!

I love the style and the clarity of the whole thing. We have many great mappers and tutorial writers on this site and becasue they are so good many of us find ourselves trying to emulate them to a greater or lesser extent. What I find to be one of the hardest parts of mapping is coming up with or developing a style of your own that looks good and does the job.

While I think your map could benefit from a few minor refinements, I think you have a great style and a unique look to your maps, which I think you should hold onto.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast