Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hello all, since I have made a few posts I thought I should make an introduction post too. I am currently a student studying Arabic language and Middle East studies and my main 'area of interest' is languages - it was actually conlanging (creating languages) that brought me to cartography as I want to create a world in which I can place my languages. After that, I hope I can plan dialect groups, language families, ethnic groups, borders etc. on my maps, although there is so much to learn and I am not the most intuitive person when it comes to technology...Currently I am using Fractal Terrains which I am having a lot of fun with. Thanks to everyone who helps on here and I hope one day I can contribute too.

How complete a world do you want to devise? Do you figure on coming up with whole societies, cultures, and mingled histories to drive your conlangs? I love the concept & execution of conlangs; I haven't had the patience to do more than ape existing languages though.

Fractal Terrains can be a good tool, but if you want a planet with a roughly earthlike variety of terrain and climates, you'll want to edit a lot. If you don't feel like you need to stick with FT's full array of terrain, you could use it to generate outlines, and overlay your own topography. Mind showing us what sort of stuff you're doing with FT thus far? No need to postpone contribution til some vague future point - I can learn something from about any level of mapper.

There was a group of bluegrass musicians, and the obvious newbie was asked what he wanted to lead with. He hesitantly suggested "Orange Blossom Special? ", which is a standard that's overdone. One of the hotshot young players, full of himself, scoffed - "Is that all you've got? What you want to play that old thing for?" Before the noob could be crushed by that reception (he was ready to be) one of the oldest players inserted "Son, If ya caint do nothin' with that, why you're not half tryin!" and to the new player he ordered "Start that train up your speed, mister, we'll fill in around the edges."

And welcome!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Conlanging is what got Tolkien started on world building and look where that got him!