Thread: Unnamed World Map

Wip Unnamed World Map

Now that I am finished my town map using the YouTube tutorials (Fantasy Cartography for Adobe Photoshop), I'm on to using Butch Curry's world mapping technique. So far I've got some mountains brushed in and I am working on the forests. What do you think? I tried to keep in mind how mountains are formed, but I haven't taken geography since grade 10 (which was about 10 years ago!) so go easy on me. Constructive criticism please, no bashing my newb mountains! Haha!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map attempt 2-1.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	554.1 KB 
ID:	39942
    ~May

No posts? Sad face! Oh well, new photo with progress. Added some rivers and lakes and whatnot. Opinions on the land features and their placements? Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map attempt 2-2.PNG 
Views:	121 
Size:	641.4 KB 
ID:	39972
    ~May

Nice work. I like the subtlety of the mountains, the muted colors, the shapes. Nothing wrong with the mountain placement. A few of your rivers arise implausibly close to one shore then traverse a whole continent to empty in the opposite sea. Could happen, just think about how high the land would have to be right at that near shore, to force rain to run off a thousand miles the other way. Those two midcontinent big lakes would seem happier if they had outlets to the sea. Doesn't mean you have to give up encircling mountains - you could have what's called a water gap - in theory, cut by a young river AS the mountains arose. CAN have central seas, they just get mighty salty....

Your wave lines are nicely done, only they contrast a bit with the semi-photographic mountains. If the shores are hand-drawn (-looking) think how ye olde cartographer produced the subtly shaded lump-bumpy mountains.... could be made to work if they were a little more painterly or sketchy?

Caveat - if it pleases YOU, then press on.

Haha, I see what you mean about the rivers! I'll edit those for sure because they do look silly now that you pointed it out Gonna wiki water gap and see what you mean by that and try and do that. As for the wave lines, they are a bit too BAM compared to the rest, so I will see what I can do with that. I'm not sure how do make it look more painterly/sketchy though cause I'm still new of PS Thanks for the advice! <3
    ~May

I'd definitely go with connecting the three inland lakes and making them maybe run to the sea at the upper left side? No reason all your mountains have to be the same height, after all.