Thread: Deepshadows project

Map Deepshadows project

I began working on a map of the town our current campaign is based in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	39947
    Yeah I know the background green color is awful! I just wanted to get the basic Idea on "paper" then change the colors around. All this work was done in paintshop pro with elements of CCW3.

I then expanded the map and put in the abandoned keep that sits above the town.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	639.1 KB 
ID:	39948
    Yep still that awful fluorescent green.

Time to do something about that background! I tried all kinds of textures and colors but nothing made me happy, so I began browsing the tutorials and found Realistic-Land-Mountain-Texture-Made-Easy and after several trials in photoshop I came up with this.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	865 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	39949

Hi Javamann and welcome to the guild!

I've moved your map from the finished maps section to the work in progress section as it looks like you are still improving on it.

Wow, that is a strong green. Glad you're getting rid of it!

Actually it's finished but it required several posts.

So it's time to put them together, add some map elements, some roads, water, a few farms, and a border.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	39952
    I'm pretty happy with the way it came together but I felt with such an upgraded background I needed to upgrade everything else.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	39953
    Most of the plant life was from CCW3. For the buildings I used the outlines I had before and "reskinned" (is that the right word?) them with a more realistic look and added some more farms.

Finished project! (sorta lol)

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	39954
    Redid some of the colors for the printing process (I have a friend who can print it out at 5' x 5'!) Reworked the keep and added the shadow of the mountains that the town was named for.

I'd say 80% of this was done with Paintshop Pro 7 (an oldy but a goody) and the rest in Photoshop.

Any suggestions before this goes to print?

I guess it's too late now to change (but as long as you are happy with it, that is all that matters), but the main thing that stands out on the map to me is that so many elements (houses and orchards) are aligned in the same direction (N/S) which seems a little unnatural.

I love the texture you're using for the roofs - the buildings themselves look great. The ground looks a little monotone in comparison. Have a look at the Genetica free textures. There's a tiling grass texture there called 'Just add bison' which might go really well with this map, although you'd probably have to lay something else on top of it to give it more variation. Likewise with the roads, perhaps a couple of textures overlaid on top with a cloud layer mask to muddy them up some.

Hope this helps!

I agree with the N/S alignment thing. The execution of the map is great, it's just layout that looks a bit off to me. And also that some of the buildings are just huge compared to the little houses, though I don't know the scale.

Most old buildings with only a single roof won't be huge. Instead, huge buildings will be square or rectangular with a central courtyard and a roof for each side. Or multiples of that form (the term "wing" basically comes from the fact that large buildings have long narrow buildings jutting out from the sides of the core). It's simply down to the fact that you don't have steel I-beams to span the roof with, you're relying on wood, and trees are only so tall. That said, it's not impossible with some fancy architecture, but that is far from the norm.

So for example, Four Corner's Shipping seems to have an enormous roof compared to the houses on carnival lane (oh by the way, I like your street names =).

As said, execution is good. I think the map looks great (I've not got any graphical critique) other than those two things.

Thanks guys, I will be reworking this again (free printing ) and the building alignment was the one thing that stood out to me as well. As far as the building size, pretty much anything bigger than the delvers in is a warehouse and the roofs will probably be replaced with tin tiles in the next revision because of size. I also plan to muddy up the town some and add a bit more vegetation to the surrounding countryside. Also roughing up the hedges (the look of them is buggin me!)

I know the roads need some work as well but not exactly sure which direction I want to take with them yet.

Thanks again!