Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mountain Village - step by step

I like your style - simplistic, yet straight forward and clean.

One thing I do appreciate in your workflow - and something I didn't consider as a method to aid in creating rapids on rivers - is your use of elevational changes on your original layout. I'll certainly have to consider that for a current map I'm working on.

Thanks for posting this, and congratz!

I like how you beveled the trees for this layer. How are you doing this? A Script-Fu for Gimp or some other program?

Looks great!

-GP

Green-Pilgrim, I use Xara which is a vector based drawing program. It's also a page-layout program - I use the same software to do my maps, illustrations and page layout for RPG publications. It is not an image editor, like GIMP, rather more like Illustrator or Inkscape. However, it has powerful beveling tools unique to it, as well as image effects like feathering, complex transparencies, even a 3D extruding tool and use with Photoshop Plugins. It let's me do all kinds of things. The above map is just one style I use - some of my maps involve 3D objects, phototextures, more realistic looking mountains. I have many styles.

I just prefer this sketchy hand-drawn/Xara hybrid style, and its consistent with other maps I've created for my feudal Japan/Asian horror inspired Kaidan setting. The map in this thread is for the 8th product in the line, with 3 adventure mini-intro-campaign, 3 race books, a free adventure for Halloween, and more coming.

The current software is Xara Designer/Photo Editor 7, but I still use Xara Xtreme Pro 4 - it's old, but serves me well enough (I should upgrade though.)

GP

PS: Hey, now! I'm the original "GP" here... LOL
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-18-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

AHHH...
    I was wondering what programs you were using since I couldn't seem to find a way to replicate the effect that you did. I love the look of the hills / map project that you were working on and was trying to incorporate the look of the inked map with color / texture but was kinda slamming into a wall with your first step.

lol. gp. lol.

Thanks for the heads up bud.

-Green Pilgrim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12