Thread: GIMP Question: making a larger image from a seamless, tileable image

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default GIMP Question: making a larger image from a seamless, tileable image

I have a question about GIMP. Is there a(n easy) way in GIMP to take a seamless image and create a larger tiled image from that in GIMP? Basically I have a seamless square image I want to "tile" to fill an 8 1/2 x 11 page and import into Scribus as a one page background. I know I can do it in CC3 very easily but I'm limited to a 96 dpi output and I'd like to get at least 150 dpi if not 300 dpi.

I also have inquiries out if there is a way to do it directly in Scribus in an image box so if anyone knows how to do that or if it is even possible, I'd love to hear how!

Thanks in advance!
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Blog Entries

Open the image in Gimp and save a copy, use the format .pat which is the gimp pattern format and put it in your gimp patterns folder (C:\Documents and Settings\your name\gimp-2.6\patterns).

Then you can create a new mage of any size you want and fill it with your pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Revock View Post
    Open the image in Gimp and save a copy, use the format .pat which is the gimp pattern format and put it in your gimp patterns folder (C:\Documents and Settings\your name\gimp-2.6\patterns).

Then you can create a new mage of any size you want and fill it with your pattern.
    Just to clarify, it does not have to be a .pat Almost any bitmap format can be used in a pattern folder and can be used as a pattern in Gimp. And in wither case, you will have to refresh the patterns palette to see the new files.

Also, if less than 512x512 you can just select all and copy to put it in the clipboard, and then use that as a pattern fill (the clipboard will be the first entry in the pattern palette)

-Rob A>

Thanks - that will be very useful!
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Thanks Rob!
    jaerdaph