Thread: No Talent Newbie

Default No Talent Newbie

*Waves*

Greetings and salutations. My name is Julie Ann Dawson, owner of Bards and Sages Publishing. We publish roleplaying games and speculative fiction. I stumbled across this forum while banging my head on the keyboard trying to find help with maps. I have map maker software (Campaign Cartographer) that I have used for small scale projects in the past. But to be honest, I'm a writer/designer, NOT a map maker. My boyfriend insists my inability to create a decent map is directly related to my complete lack of direction sense. There may be some truth to that.

Essentially, I've come here mostly to lurk and perhaps occassionally stalk a more talented map maker to offer them money to make maps for me. Though I love reading about processes and have found some of the discussions very interesting. If nothing else, hanging out should give me a better idea of how map makers think and approach projects, so I can give better directions when I do hire someone.

So for now I'll mostly lurk, but maybe eventually I will upload one of my horrific map attempts and you can all point and laugh.

It's just practice and will to do it (and check out tutorials and things). Anyone can make a good map if they really want to. My early ones were horrific too! Anyway, welcome!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

I agree w/Larb, all it takes is a bit of practice I wouldn't even call some of my early attempts maps, more like cartographic abominations!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the guild! As they have said above, YOU CAN DO IT! If not, you can always put in a request and hire someone!
    ~May

Just get a good set of brushes and learn to diffuse clouds and you will amaze yourself.

You are all very kind. But if I posted an example of my "artistic talent" I might burn your retinas lol

This fellow newb and New Jerseyian extends greeting and salutations. (wow that sounded better in my head than it looked after I typed it but what the hay) Can't find a better place to lurk, and the tute's are first rate! Criticism is gentle but honest and you can't hope for better than that. Can you post a link to your publishing website here? I'd like to see it if its allowed.

"No Talent" my eye. Everybody's got SoMe talent. Admittedly yours could be as an editor, or a plumber, or a neurophysicist :-)... me: as a cartographer i make a great software engineer.

Seriously, even non-artists, non-graphics types are among us, making nice maps. A couple of our frequent contributors are color-blind. <shrug> Ya can do 'bout anything you put your mind to. If you see amongst the tutorials a style you like, I bet a plugged nickel that you can blunder through the steps with perseverance and come up with something presentable. Doubly so if you do some such practice in public, in work-in-progress threads, soliciting tips and advice - we try to be helpful, and we don't bite :-).

Mind you, offering commissions to established Guildspeople is a perfectly acceptable behavior too :-). We can help you out either way.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - as mentioned above - following a tutorial, preferable in public (at least after a few attempts ) will probably result in maps that you actually will be proud of having made
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise