Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fractal Mapper 8: Classic Blue TSR-style maps made easy

Tutorial Fractal Mapper 8: Classic Blue TSR-style maps made easy

Greetings,

I've just put the finishing touches on a pdf tutorial that features Fractal Mapper 8 and my method to create the familiar Classic Blue TSR-Style maps. Hope it helps anyone whose looking for a fairly easy way to recreate that classic look.

A copy of the pdf and the finished product are attached below

Cheers,

Silverleaf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FractalMapper8ClassicBlue.pdf 
Views:	432 
Size:	626.7 KB 
ID:	40056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1-12b.png 
Views:	456 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	40057

Good piece!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Hiya Mark,

Gotta say your replying to a tutorial of mine is a real pleasure. I adore what you guys are doing at The Vintyri project, especially with the large pdf tutorial and of course all the superb textures. I should probably PM you to ask this question, but do you know if anyone has done a tutorial on creating a Archipelago with Fractal Mapper?

I've been struggling with creating just-under-the-water-features like reefs, sunken islands chains and the like. All the images I've found on Google show them clearly - I'm just not finding a technique to recreate them properly. Some seem to be only a couple feet under water, and close enough to the surface that a person could walk across them if they wanted.

In any case, thanks for your comment.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Brings back memories of my early role-playing days.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Although I don't use FM myself, I enjoyed the tutorial, and am sure that other FM mappers will find it helpful. Thanks for giving something back to the guild, Silverleaf!

not a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleaf View Post
    do you know if anyone has done a tutorial on creating a Archipelago with Fractal Mapper?
    Sorry. I wish I could help you there, but ...

I've been struggling with creating just-under-the-water-features like reefs, sunken islands chains and the like. All the images I've found on Google show them clearly - I'm just not finding a technique to recreate them properly. Some seem to be only a couple feet under water, and close enough to the surface that a person could walk across them if they wanted.
    When I want to put something under water in FM8, I:

1) Put the water onto the map first.

2) Put the object that's supposed to be under water on top of the water.

3) With the intended underwater object marked, I move the transparency slider to the left until I have exactly the underwater effect I'm seeking.

I'm not sure if that will solve your problem, but up until now, it's always given us exactly what we've been seeking.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Hiya Mark,

Yeah, that is how I was doing it as the transparency trick does work well. What I think I'll do is try a couple levels of transparency to blend in the effect I'm looking for. It seems that a real world Archipelago has varying levels of very close to surface/underwater features. If I have success, I'll be sure to post an update in a thread for you and other Fractal Mapper users.

Thanks for your reply, it really did help.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleaf View Post
    What I think I'll do is try a couple levels of transparency to blend in the effect I'm looking for. It seems that a real world Archipelago has varying levels of very close to surface/underwater features. If I have success, I'll be sure to post an update in a thread for you and other Fractal Mapper users.
    I think you're on exactly the right road there. I haven't had the need to put things at different underwater depths yet, but that's exactly what I'd do.

Elsewhere, however, I've used this technique quite a bit. Using fill patterns (textures) with feather blurs and varying degrees of transparency can produce all kinds of great results with FM8.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Thanks Mark.

Always good to hear from a well-known user that a method your considering is sound.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast