2 9.09%
  • Ultimate Doom by rdanhenry

0 0%
  • The Last Stand by Redone

1 4.55%
  • PostAmerica (WIP) by timallen

1 4.55%

Thread: ***October/November Lite Challenge Voting - how bad could it be? ***

Default ***October/November Lite Challenge Voting - how bad could it be? ***

This month's challenge was to make an apocalyptic map. with extra points* to be awarded for creative means of destroying all civilisation. The entries this month ranged from the detailed to the humorous. Cast your vote and the seeds of reputation to the deserving.

The Thumbnails are here

So Let the voting begin!

*The value of extra points may go up or down or may not exist at all and points do not mean prizes.

Had to go with A Night at the Opera. Not much map but a lot of cool! Nice to look at too.
    M

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Lovecraft meets Romero? How could I not vote for that? (maybe i'm misinterpreting but the KEYWORDS FOLLOW led me down both those paths.. and a few others but those stood out the most)
    I think it really does meet the challenge specs. Either scenario would have worked on it's own but both together is awesome.

I can forsee a comment about "more story than map" but I think it balanced out ok for me. And it totally looks like something you'd see on an apple II in some forgotten underground bunker

Nothing wrong with the other maps but this one really did it for me. though i came DARN close to voting for rdanhenry's once I read the title

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I wanted to go with the post-Boson, but the Akerbeltz's map brought back so many good Fallout 2 memories ...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

My vote went to the OCR-Map, I really liked style and execution ...
    Runner ups: "The last stand" and "The night at the opera"

The "Post Boson" map has a great idea but it looks somehow unfinished to me - especially the way the text is placed...
    "Ultimate Doom" is also a nice idea, but ...
    PostAmerica map would have been great too, yet it is unfortunalty not finished.

OK, I wish Timallen had been able to do more - I liked where PostAmerica was going. Redone gets definite kudos for entering with his first Guild map; yea, even his first CG post. Well done, I just didn't feel very threatened by the vague menace. I realize if I was on that bridge I'd feel a bit more urgency.... Rdanhenry gets points for thoroughness, but it's soooo distant again I don't feel endangered. And while his map does beat my initial Post-Boson one for minimalism, I still got my filesize smaller :-). Cyruss, I liked the results you got, but again, the looming menace was mostly off-screen. Shucks, you could get that much destruction in a subway station with a mere 8.8 earthquake nearby.

The Night at the Opera though - while simple, it tells the whole story of impending doom. And one can sense the end coming, even if one isn't in a shaded zone... yet. Completeness of multiple competing horrors, a bit of textual chronology to show the spread, yet still room for imagination to make it even scarier. My vote's for Akerbeltz - nice job!

I liked the looks of Timallen's start, wish I could have seen more. Rdanhenry's entry got a chuckle out of me. It reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend about which was more depressing, the heat death of the universe or the death of the sun. He argued for the heat death but I still say the death of the sun. My argument was that the heat death is just too enormous to wrap your mind around and humanize. Redone's entry had a suitably doomed vibe to it. I imagine the last few humans living in the camp surrounded by the creeping blackness. Jbgibson's Post-Boston is a very cool scenario. I suppose the last humans would be floating out in the ISS watching it all take place. Cyruss's map got my vote, it had an interesting style which reminded me of old top down shooter games. It's pretty much the complete opposite of the Ultimate Doom entry, in that it's very focused on a small scale. The rest of the world could be totally fine for all anyone trapped in those tunnels knows. Looking at all the different levels of apocalypse presented is a pretty interesting play on the subjectivity of the concept of a doomsday.

@Coyotemax: Pretty much all Lovecraft, even the zombies are lovecraftian. Was inspired by the stories, "Shadows over Innsmouth" "Call of Cthulhu" "From Beyond" "Pickman's Model" "The Insects From Shaggai" and of course the core book for Delta Green.