Thread: Battlemap - The Verdant Dawn

Default Battlemap - The Verdant Dawn

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for a battlemap for an upcoming D&D game. Actually I feel awful making my first post here a request, but I've spent so long looking for something like this and I'm just not enough of a mapmaker to do it myself u_u; I admire the skill base here tremendously, so I hope that somebody will please consider the idea. I'm trying to be as liberal as possible with requirements, because I really hope that any cartographer who takes the request will also be able to get something out of it <:)

(Note: If you know of a map like this that already exists, that would also be just super :D I looked around for quite some time, but of course I wasn't able to check everywhere. So, please go ahead and link it if you do, and I shall apologise for wasting everybody's time >3>; )

Timeline:
    If possible, I would like to have the map by the beginning of December, when the game starts.

Content:
    What I am hoping for is a D&D style tactical map, depicting a typical western-style fantasy city street, which has been suddenly overrun by huge plants. Though the buildings are just like they were last night, the forest should look like it has been there forever; something, as yet unknown, has caused an ancient forest to spring up overnight.

For visuals, think shade canopy, giant root structures crawling over the roofs and digging through the cobblestones, that sort of idea. Something like these beautiful giants: (example 1, example 2, example 3), except the buildings beneath would be residences in a fantasy town, not ancient temples. I don't have a specific street structure in mind, so you could arrange it how you liked as long as there's enough room for the PCs to move around (so streets should be 10' wide at least). Please feel free to be creative with the scene - you could partially collapse some walls, block off some paths with vegetation, add tents/stalls, or whatever else interests you.

Style:
    It doesn't need to be super-realistic; in fact, I prefer a somewhat stylised approach (I'm kind of in love with Torstan's battlemaps (link)). However, since this is a free request I realise I'm lucky to get whatever I get, so I'm not about to complain if a cartographer uses any style they please. It would really be excellent if it was in colour though.

Quality/Size:
    It would be excellent to get a print-sized map, but the game is online, so a low-res version perfectly good (I don't want to push my luck ^_^;). If you haven't dealt with them before, printed D&D battlemaps use a 1" square grid, 1" = 5' scale. The program I am using for the game uses a 64px grid, but bigger is fine; I can happily scale down the final result.

To be large enough for a combat scene, the map will probably need to be somewhere between about 12*18 and 20*25 squares. Exact dimensions are not a concern, so once again, that depends on whatever works best for the cartographer.

Copyrights:
    I have no intention to publish the map or make any profit from it. You keep the copyright, and I would absolutely love for you to publish/sell the map yourself. If you normally do professional work, you can even publish it to RPGNow (or wherever) and ask me to buy my own copy. Since I can't pay a proper commission fee, I would really like for anybody who takes the request to be able to make money out of it themselves.

I think I can't receive private messages yet, so please reply here, email bitemegraphics(at)gmail(dot)com, or contact me on deviantArt (link) if you have ay questions.

Thank you all for your time, I really appreciate your consideration :)

Nice! I have actually been to that exact temple during my travels!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1964.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	951.3 KB 
ID:	40068  

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessEnthusiasm View Post
    Nice! I have actually been to that exact temple during my travels!
    Wow, that is an amazing picture XD And an especially good example of what I'm trying for - it almost looks like it was "poured" onto the building somehow. Awesome XD Thanks for sharing!