Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hey... I made a planet!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It was a good story turned into a bad movie back in the 80s. I did like Sting's platinum blonde spikey hairdo tho...had one myself for the first year of college until my fraternity brothers told me that sorority girls liked preppy better. Who knew?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Billy Idol had a much better hair style... and he's much cooler

I know a lot of DUNE fans might disagree but I loved the SCIFI miniseries that they did for DUNE .... I thought it rocked.... so much so I have it on DVD

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I never had the guts to watch the miniseries after being so disappointed with the movie. Guess I'll have to check it out.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Billy Idol had a much better hair style... and he's much cooler

I know a lot of DUNE fans might disagree but I loved the SCIFI miniseries that they did for DUNE .... I thought it rocked.... so much so I have it on DVD
    Billy Idol > Sting for the win!

I liked the Sci-Fi Channel version too, except for William Hurt as Duke Leto was a bad choice, his acting was fine, but he just didn't look the part to me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

whats the storyline? i dont think ive ever seen the miniseries or the movies, yet something about the name rings a bell.... oh well, if i think to hard my head will hurt

heres a picture I just finished that took roughly 2 and a half days to make

tell me what ya think of it (and if you think the clouds look realistic, cause I do, but I like to get opinions )

Oh, and this is at half the original size, the original is 1500x1500, this is 750x750
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Planet.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	956.0 KB 
ID:	7359  
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Nice job... have some rep....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

You can get Blender at http://www.blender.org/. I've tried using it, but it seems to be about the same as all 3D modeling programs in ease of use, which for me is not easy at all. I find difficulty in grasping concepts in 3D modeling.

For the deviant in you: dA's Resources gallery's search results for "planet" (use other keywords at discretion).

Since the subject is up are I might as well post my tinkerings with space art or astrography as I like to call it

The first one: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Draco...py_resized.jpg

My best: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Draco...opyresized.jpg

This one's not too shabby either: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Draco...in_resized.jpg

The last: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Draco...ion_copy_1.jpg

All made in Photoshop 7.0.
    "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities, truth isn't."
    -- Samuel Langhorne Clemens a.k.a. Mark Twain. (1897) Following the Equator.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    whats the storyline? i dont think ive ever seen the miniseries or the movies, yet something about the name rings a bell.... oh well, if i think to hard my head will hurt
    Bryguy, the story line is pretty involved. I would suggest you rent/borrow/beg/steal either version and give it a view.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

I'll give it a go ...

The year is 10,191 of the Imperial Throne. The Emperor Shaddam IV rules over the galaxy, granting fiefdoms to the Great Houses of the Landsraad. During this year, the planet fief of Arrakis is transferred from the control of House Harkonnen to House Atreides - bitter enemies. Arrakis, also known as Dune, is the home of the Spice. The Spice extends life and is vital for space travel, used by Spacing Guild navigators to navigate the space between stars. The planet is a desert, home to the Giant Worms and the ragged Fremen.

The story is one of intrigue, betrayal and the wars of the Houses.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast