Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [WiP] Radigast - city mapping

This is starting to look really good. I like the clean look of it. And of course you should go for the manual texturing of your houses
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    Spray on, randomized roof textures? Or just the kind you get from a straight inner bevel

Or, are you suggesting, I take the time to manually texture every single one of the app. 1000 roofs?

Edit: rinky dinky little trees are a good idea ...
    With a map of this quality, only individual manual textures will do <g>

As said, some trees, maybe a little roof texture but I'm unsure. It looks really clean as is. The main roads into the city though and the fauxburgs outside the city gates (a big walled city like this will have them I suspect) and the farmstead buildings. Perhaps a little relief for the land outside the city? Or maybe cropfields? Not sure how to go about them on this style plan though.

But anyway. it already looks really awesome.

Yup, relief, roads, cropfields, the northern swamps ... maybe some depth guides for the rivers. I'm going to have to take a nice c. 1900 city map in had to have a look, because I think the style is going to be informed by that.

... fauxburgs? Like little manor houses with farm buildings?

I may have misspelled it but I remember the term or something very similar from a book I read ages ago about old cities and towns. It refers to the small settlements that spring up just outside the city gates to cater to travelers when the gates are closed and whatnot (and also where people who can't afford property inside the city live).

This is so awesome! Thank you so much!! I will be the envy of all other GMs!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Radigast City 3_Full City.png 
Views:	355 
Size:	926.1 KB 
ID:	40282

There we go, Radigast is starting to take shape. I'm going to have to finalize the dimensions of the finished work with GM Zork - that will determine the final placement of the legends, the final size of the texts, etc. Right now this map has two obvious "mistakes" ... can you spot them?

There may of course be numerous actual mistakes, which were quite unintentional and thus do not get quotation marks. If you spot those, I'll be grateful too.

Very nice city map so far, which is difficult to do. Market spaces, docks, arena, all there. I hope you are able to add outbuildings and fields by the time the map is finished. Have some rep.

One minor quibble is the font being used for "Radigast City 2000". Not sure why, but it stylistically doesn't seem to mesh well with the rest of the map.

I'm no professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I agree with thebax2k on the title font. Looks a little "sci-fi ish".
    That said, great map. Just "lost" another 15 minutes of my life happily scolling around it. "Mistakes" The unattached water bits in the marshes? I really like the overlapping walls below Hightown.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast