Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac or PC?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusTay View Post
    Okay, I think you guys after swaying me to stick with Win/PC. I love the concept of Linux, but I am much too old to have any more 'moral umbrage' and sold my soul to Bill Gates long ago.

As for the Mac - I think I would enjoy the "idiot-proof' ness of it for a short time, and then get frustrated when I couldn't do something very specific (I build my own systems, as I said in my first post). I suppose, if you take out any difference in PS/Illustrator software (which folks here say no longer exists), then I should just stick with what I know.

Besides, I'm starting to feel my once-a-month virus-battles are like an old friend - I expect them, and get nervous when they take too long showing up. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling when I eventually thwart them.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    As a geek, I have to say that those are sound reasons ;-)

Really sorry you had a fire. :-(
    Good luck with the reboot.

Macs aren't totally idiot proof. You can still get into the guts of the OS if you really want to. It's hidden from the average user, but the power user can still do quite a lot. But yes, there is no difference in capability or performance in Adobe software. I've used pretty much all of the CS suite on both platforms within the past year, and the only difference I can detect is the bizarre insistence on using the command key in place of control.

The only reason I would go Mac at this point is for Final Cut Pro, and even that's much less of a draw after the most recent version was released.

The hackintosh idea is not a bad one, though, and if you like tinkering, you might enjoy setting it up.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've taught adobes programs on both platforms (not linux) for years and there is no difference other than how much ram you put in - and photoshop eats ram like no other program *lol* ... personally I use the programs on a MacBook Pro, but that was a decision that was made for me as a client of mine "demands" that I use Mac for the work (not really demand, but all the fonts they use are for mac and I don't want to pay for them all myself.) and you don't say no to Egmont (they make Disney/Marvel in Europe). But having been forced onto the Mac at home, I pretty much love it and am definitely wondering if, when my PC dies, my next stationary comp should be an iMac. Especially since more and more programs are moving into the cloud. I bare use the office package anymore since Google came with their free office tools. I'm considering moving all my mail to gmail so I can check it anywhere, which would also eliminate Outlook... but as been mentioned, Mac don't make it easy to build/edit stuff yourself, however the userinterface is rather self-explanatory and mostly it just works (it does crash once in a while though - mostly Safari I think).
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12