Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I think workflow is the biggest question...for a map like that there's gotta be a well defined workflow or it would never come together so well...good job! Its phenominal!
    Glad you like it.

As for the workflow, is there anything you'd specifically like to know?

Glad to get you here,
    This year, we are getting more and more members and from those members, many have some professional experience, which is really awesome.

For myself, I was familiar with the Freeport city because we've play in it.
    I like it, but from your first post, I have to say that I prefer the Erengrad - a city in Kislev better. You can see that you really put a lot of effort in it and it got that look that make you wana walk in the street and play in that city. Yesterday evening, my players ask me to incorporate Erengrad plus any other map like it into my world so they could go visit them .

I really like also the effectiveness and the simplicity of this map:
    Kislev - a country in Games Workshop's Old World. The only point for me would be to have used a kind of either shadow or blurry effect on the cartouche (the Kislev name and scale) at the bottom right to made it stand out of the mountains more.

I only hope to be able to do great stuff like urs someday.

Also take note that you are not obligated to say thanks back to us all for the praises we're giving you, because we all know that they are more than deserve.

Hope to see more of your WIP and to learn from ur technique,
    Alu.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Quote Originally Posted by alucard339 View Post
    Glad to get you here,
    This year, we are getting more and more members and from those members, many have some professional experience, which is really awesome.

For myself, I was familiar with the Freeport city because we've play in it.
    I like it, but from your first post, I have to say that I prefer the Erengrad - a city in Kislev better. You can see that you really put a lot of effort in it and it got that look that make you wana walk in the street and play in that city. Yesterday evening, my players ask me to incorporate Erengrad plus any other map like it into my world so they could go visit them .
    Heh! I'm happy the maps are inspiring people to play. That's what they're for, after all. Much like you, I prefer the Erengrad map -- that said, I've also had mails from people who claim to prefer the Freeport map, so horses for courses, I suppose. We all have our favoured styles.

I really like also the effectiveness and the simplicity of this map:
    Kislev - a country in Games Workshop's Old World. The only point for me would be to have used a kind of either shadow or blurry effect on the cartouche (the Kislev name and scale) at the bottom right to made it stand out of the mountains more.
    That was a matter of stylistic choice. If I'd added some shadows or similar, it would have looked a little more separate from the map -- above it, if you will -- and computer generated, which wasn't part of the design goals. That said, I do accept the point, and reckon I could have done more to clarify that area. But, it works as is, and when you're working to a deadline, compromise is a constant bedfellow.

As a point of interest, the Kislev map took almost twice as long to complete as the Erengrad map. Simplicity isn't always so simple. All the little details took an age!

I only hope to be able to do great stuff like urs someday.
    Well, as I say to my daughter: 'practice makes perfect'.

Also take note that you are not obligated to say thanks back to us all for the praises we're giving you, because we all know that they are more than deserve.
    Yes, true, but if people are willing to take the time to say 'well done', I'm willing to take the time to say 'thanks'. It seems only polite.

Hope to see more of your WIP and to learn from ur technique,
    Alu.
    Well, we'll see. I'm not so sure what my technique is. I just kinda grab my pen and draw, if you see what I mean? I don't really use much in the way of filters or textures or special brushes -- I just draw what I want, where I want it.

If I have the time, I'll see if I can figure out a way of showing you want I mean.

OK - Here is a quick one...

Do you freehand all the buildings and walls, or do you use line and polygon tools?

If freehand - can you share any techniques for drawing orthogonal building shapes that are situated at an angle on a map that keeps them orthogonal (rather than squished diamond shapes)... rotating the image, rotating the tablet, etc.?

(and this will be my last question, honest ...at least for now...)

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    OK - Here is a quick one...
    Okay, I'm listening.

Do you freehand all the buildings and walls, or do you use line and polygon tools?
    I freehand everything.

If freehand - can you share any techniques for drawing orthogonal building shapes that are situated at an angle on a map that keeps them orthogonal (rather than squished diamond shapes)... rotating the image, rotating the tablet, etc.?
    Erm, I'm really not sure what to say here. I just draw 'em and they look as they should. No rotating of either canvas or tablet. Much as if I had a piece of paper in front of me, I could draw a rectangle at any angle and it would look like a rectangle. Of course, spinning the paper would make it easier, but (for me, at least), not all that much easier. I suppose I must just have a good eye or something.

The reason I do it all freehand is because I find it looks less computer generated because my hand isn't perfect -- which is a goal of mine on most of my maps -- and it's quicker (on a smaller scale, at least, which those buildings, tents, and the like are).

If I'm doing modern or futuristic maps, I tend to use more tools, just for the visual effect.

Sorry I'm not much help here.

(and this will be my last question, honest ...at least for now...)

-Rob A>
    Really, ask as many as you like. I don't mind. I'm more than happy to answer anything you want to know. That said, judging by my last answer, I may not be much help.

Sorry I'm not much help here.
    Oh no, that is helpful. Sadly, I have realized that technology can only take a person so far...at some point actual artistic ability is necessary

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I've got a question...

So, Andy, how does it feel to be worshipped as a mapping GOD?? lol.. heh, I could see it coming too, sorry I didn't give you a warning, not about what was coming .. but the sheer attitude and strength of the praise about to engulf you....

As for some tutorials, I'd like to see how you do those mountains, to me, mountains on an overland map are always the hardest, I don't know why. I'm doing several maps for a book that I and my wife have written, and the deadline is getting closer and closer... unfortunately, I've got to put them in B/W... well, greyscale anyway. I posted some of the mountains I have already which (surprisingly) got easier each time I set one up for a brush... but any advice would be inspiring and helpful.

And any tutorial you have on mapping tricks would be cool too... any cool map effects you might have done, or ways you've sped up some processes. I dunno, yer the pro.. you tell us

I also have to gush a bit, the Erengrad map is truly one the best city maps I've ever seen... but somehow, I think you already know this... will we see any of your current maps you've done or have been working on? The personal ones, not the commercial ones ... I'd love to see even more of your work

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hapimeses View Post
    The Erengrad map's original resolution is 3750x2650, designed to be printed at 400dpi.
    Thanks. If I get the map from the link you posted then its almost that size already. When I size exactly to those dimensions and look at it close I get this below. Is this really the kind of res that you are working with when you draw it ? I can't imagine how hard that must be to work at this res. It looks like its antialiased and has phenomenal detail for such a small number of pixels. I don't think I could even begin to dream about anything like that unless it was more like 37.50 inches at 400 dpi (not that I have the artistic capability even then)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Erengrad.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	2746  

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    I've got a question...
    Sure, go for it.

So, Andy, how does it feel to be worshipped as a mapping GOD?? lol.. heh, I could see it coming too, sorry I didn't give you a warning, not about what was coming .. but the sheer attitude and strength of the praise about to engulf you....
    Heh! I manage somehow.

As for some tutorials, I'd like to see how you do those mountains, to me, mountains on an overland map are always the hardest, I don't know why. I'm doing several maps for a book that I and my wife have written, and the deadline is getting closer and closer... unfortunately, I've got to put them in B/W... well, greyscale anyway. I posted some of the mountains I have already which (surprisingly) got easier each time I set one up for a brush... but any advice would be inspiring and helpful.
    I trust you mean the mountains from the Kislev map? They were really easy, I'll make a post about that in a bit. I'll see if I can rustle up an image to support what I type.

And any tutorial you have on mapping tricks would be cool too... any cool map effects you might have done, or ways you've sped up some processes. I dunno, yer the pro.. you tell us
    I'll admit, I'm a little unsure what to say. It's far easier to ask than it is to come up with something, if you see what I mean? We'll start with the mountains, and if you spot anything else you'd like to know about, I suppose we can move on from there. My problem is that none of my mapping 'tricks' seem all that special to me, so picking out something is pretty hard.

As for speeding things up -- well, I don't really. I'm a bit old-fashioned with my maps: I just draw it all. Sometimes, that just takes time.

I also have to gush a bit, the Erengrad map is truly one the best city maps I've ever seen... but somehow, I think you already know this... will we see any of your current maps you've done or have been working on? The personal ones, not the commercial ones ... I'd love to see even more of your work
    Thanks, glad you like it. As for my own maps, I may post a few later, but I rarely have time for anything bar commissioned work these days, which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Thanks. If I get the map from the link you posted then its almost that size already. When I size exactly to those dimensions and look at it close I get this below. Is this really the kind of res that you are working with when you draw it ? I can't imagine how hard that must be to work at this res. It looks like its antialiased and has phenomenal detail for such a small number of pixels. I don't think I could even begin to dream about anything like that unless it was more like 37.50 inches at 400 dpi (not that I have the artistic capability even then)
    Yeah, that's not far off the size I was working at. The jpeg on BI's site has the quality reduced a little. One of the joys of working to a commission is that I have a fixed resolution I must work to, and if that means working in tiny detail, then so be it. I drew a fair bit of this map zoomed in at 300%,

I've attached a .gif segment of the original res (or near as damnit) for you to compare it to.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hapimeses; 03-13-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast