Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***November/December 2011 Lite Challenge - Draw a Map by Hand***

Thank you M - I tried to add and load (or is the lock and load?); it went somewhere. Will hunt for it.
    Regards, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by anest1s View Post
    It has to be on paper only? I mean other material is ok too if it is done by hand? Or not?
    I'll amend the contest rules. As long as the map is drawn on any physical medium that should be fine.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will do my best to find time for this. Oldskool!

Hmm ... On the digital shenanigans note.

I feel a single pass of levels / contrast / brightness should be allowed after scanning. A lot of scanners do this automatically, but the results are often less than perfect. To my mind, this is the equivalent of turning on a lamp in a dingy room so someone can look at the map more easily.

Lukc - I agree - my scanner does it automatically and I can adjust this or that during the scan. So, am interested to hear if a single pass (we all promise not to do a second pass?) is allowed. Surely.... :-)
    Regards, Gary

Thing is, looking at the WIPs that have already been posted, the brightness / contrast etc seems fine. My concern about allowing people to play with levels etc is that it can be used to remove construction lines by computer adjustment which (to me anyway) doesn't really fit in the spirit of doing it all by hand, where, for example, you might use an eraser to remove construction lines.

Tell you what, if all the contestants are happy to do a levels adjustment (so nobody feels hard done by) then we'll let it through. It only needs to be done towards the close of the challenge anyway.

It's an open question - honestly, I can do it during the scan as well. I turn off the auto-levels anyway ... but sometimes it comes out "graying" the white spaces. If I let it auto-level it kills the pencil marks on it's own, which I find a bit silly. Anyway ... will continue with the WIPs tomorrow .

As for levels - whatever people feel is appropriate, is fine by me. Just want it cleared up is all!

I'm so excited! I just finished tweaking my map and am about ready. However, since it is on a rather large drawing board I will have to take a digital photo, is that okay? And if so any recommended size?

Digital photos are fine! There are upper limits on the size of images you can upload ... but I can't remember what they are (ought to be sufficient for a digital camera photo though).

It's a max of 4.77Mb, for most file types. It's actually larger for some - see this thread for details:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post149367

Huh - sometimes the editing menu doesn't come up for me, else I would have properly inserted that link... <shrug>....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast