Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***November/December 2011 Lite Challenge - Draw a Map by Hand***

Actually, if we're talking MY camera, any photo would be under 4Mb. My daughter's though, could easily give filesizes a lot bigger. The complexity of the subject matters greatly. If we're talking mostly monochrome line art, digital photos might not have trouble staying under 4.77Mb. If one of us does a nice painterly thing though, with crazy detail and a varied palette, it could be hard to take a picture and know the filesize will be small enough.

How about if anybody takes an overlarge photo (scanners not always being available), they can get the file to a community leader, ( neutral party) who can do a simple jpg quality twiddle or something to get it legit. Thing is, I'd hate to artificially limit somebody's participation based on the difficulty of getting the results onto a computer :-b... Or you could just borrow my mediocre digital camera ....

< wonder if I can borrow one of those 44-inch drum scanners at the graphics company I used to work for.... >

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

I would assume setting the size of the image and the filesize are within the scope of 'taking the photo' or 'scanning'

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Hi,
    Just a little question regarding the size of the medium.
    what do we have to do if the medium is bigger than A4, standard max size for scanners? I'm considering working on A3 size paper but my scanner is only A4.
    I do possess a good camera so if it's required, I can just take a photo, even if the quality won't be the same.

To solve the issue, what I propose to do is to take a photograph of the whole thing, as a proof of the work done on a paper, and,
    Scan+assemble the two parts without touching anything else.

What's your opinion about it?
    Thanks

I was going to scan in pieces and stitch - that's just scan mechanics, ja?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

Why bother with scanning it in pieces, take a well lit photo (sunlight preferably)

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EricPoehlsen View Post
    Why bother with scanning it in pieces, take a well lit photo (sunlight preferably)
    Have you tried that before? Can a nice job be done this way?
    Last edited by Dain; 12-04-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Okay, so quick question!

I took a picture of my map, it looks okay, the top corners are a little out of focus but not too bad. I would love for this map to be viewed for every detail it has, which is a lot, but in order to capture the whole canvas, I had to take the picture about 4 feet above the map so that some of the finer detail is masked. Can I upload a few (i.e. 2 or 3) pictures or should I just upload the main one and if anyone wants to see the detailed stuff E-mail me for more pictures?

I am sorry for being a tid bit difficult, and if need be i can create a smaller map and scan it up to here, but I would hold that for a last resort seeing as how the 10th is approaching!

~Solde

Although.... I can check to see if my Geography department has a big enough scanner, that would be wonderful. I will check tomorrow and see what's up, but until then my previous question stands!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast