Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***November/December 2011 Lite Challenge - Draw a Map by Hand***

Default ***November/December 2011 Lite Challenge - Draw a Map by Hand***

This was a pretty popular request in the suggestions forum, so we thought we'd go with it this month. Bear in mind that some of the best maps the guild has ever had the honour of hosting have been hand drawn to a greater or lesser extent.

Your map can be of anything and at any scale, provided that it is drawn by hand on a physical medium (e.g. paper, cloth, bark, vellum etc) This means:

• The entire piece, including the map, cartouche, neatlines, labelling etc must be hand drawn or hand written on a physical medium.
    • No 'touching up' on the computer afterwards.
    • Within the above restrictions you can use any media to draw/paint with (e.g. pencils, pens, inks, paints, pastels).
    • For the avoidance of doubt: Computer tablets/pens are *NOT* allowed.

Scan your map or take a digital photo of it to present it here!

This should be a fun competition! We hope that there will be lots of participation (and laughs along the way). We think this is going to be a liberating experience!

The challenge will close on or about the 15th of December.

OH, darn! Hopefully you'll run a regular challenge for this too at some point!

Hmm I think I have a good idea for this...we'll see...
    Last edited by Engris; 11-22-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Just to be clear - you intend that we not even do compositing digitally? I wouldn't call that touchup, but I can see how it might be considered digital shenanigans :-). I would lean toward scanning text as an overlay separate from the linework, and sticking the two together in an app, but if that's "impure" for this competition I'll skip it. Any physical compositing should be ok, though, right? Mylar layers, post-it notes, holes cut in paper to show an underlayer..... So long as it makes the transition into digital in one go?

Cool challenge. Looking forward to the results. Please bring it to the regular challenge soon!
    M

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Just to be clear - you intend that we not even do compositing digitally? I wouldn't call that touchup, but I can see how it might be considered digital shenanigans :-). I would lean toward scanning text as an overlay separate from the linework, and sticking the two together in an app, but if that's "impure" for this competition I'll skip it. Any physical compositing should be ok, though, right? Mylar layers, post-it notes, holes cut in paper to show an underlayer..... So long as it makes the transition into digital in one go?
    Yes that's about right. I think to keep it clear and easy, just imagine that computers do not exist except for the purpose of scanning the drawing and posting it here. So if you want to physically composite, that's absolutely fine!

It has to be on paper only? I mean other material is ok too if it is done by hand? Or not?

Hello - I am a new member so do not know how to enter a drawing in this contest. When you have a moment, would you direct me?

Thank you,
    Gary

Hi Gary,
    Welcome to the Guild. You'll want to read the rules here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...es-Please-Read.

For this entry just draw it up and create a thread (following the rules on that link) with your final entry (scanned and uploaded in this case). If you want to create a thread and post works in progress so you can get feedback, show off, or whatever then you can do that too. Easy as pie!

Good luck on it. This one looks like a great challenge.
    M

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast