Thread: Bight of Zypheria

Guild Novice

Wip Bight of Zypheria

Another break out map from the larger world. This time I needed a chart for an ocean bound story.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bight_of_Zypheria.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	40143

I grabbed a bit of the coastline, and the underlying plasma cloud shading, then used "select by color" to grab bits of interesting bottom and laid them under a colored overlay.

No labels yet. Any suggestions on this one?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Grins, use it as is! I suppose having a scale on it would help them understand the size better?

Seriously I like the look it feels like it should be in the hands of the adventurers and they scribble notes on it as they go.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Guild Novice

I need to get back to this one .. add the scale and some ports. I want to add a few navigational landmarks as well. It's a BIG body of water.

Blog Entries

If it's not meant to be right on the equator, you should adjust your graticule to reflect the convergence of the meridians at higher latitudes. (In other words, you probably want rectangles, not squares) I've got a more detailed explanation here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ules-Made-Easy

Guild Novice

Good point. I shifted to Mercator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bight_of_Zypheria2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	40182

Had a bit of fun adding the Mercator projection to the original so I knew where 90E and 45N fell in this map, then did my best on scaling. The miles scale is set to 45N but I'm not expert enough to figure out how that should be noted.
    Last edited by nlowell; 11-25-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: botched upload.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nlowell View Post
    Good point. I shifted to Mercator.
    Normal Mercator isn't really the best projection for a continental scale map like this, unless you need to preserve bearings (say for a marine chart intended for dead reckoning, in which case you you'd probably have rhumb lines rather than a graticule)

Quote Originally Posted by nlowell View Post
    Had a bit of fun adding the Mercator projection to the original so I knew where 90E and 45N fell in this map, then did my best on scaling. The miles scale is set to 45N but I'm not expert enough to figure out how that should be noted.
    It's not really appropriate to have an indicated scale when the actual scale varies so much. If you keep it I'd put a note under it along the lines of: Scale true at 45° N.

Given the name and appearance, I'd thought it was a much smaller feature; a small sea rather than a small ocean. If you can make it smaller, the scale issue would go away.
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 11-25-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Normal Mercator isn't really the best projection for a continental scale map like this, unless you need to preserve bearings (say for a marine chart intended for dead reckoning, in which case you you'd probably have rhumb lines rather than a graticule)

It's not really appropriate to have an indicated scale when the actual scale varies so much. If you keep it I'd put a note under it along the lines of: Scale true at 45° N.

Given the name and appearance, I'd thought it was a much smaller feature; a small sea rather than a small ocean. If you can make it smaller, the scale issue would go away.
    I need the distance from Kleesport to North Haven and, yeah, since it's a sailing chart it was the bearings requirement that pushed me to mercator. I thought it was about the same size as the Great Australian Bight until I started doing the math. I might be able to edit the story to cut the distance down, and I can certainly change the name ... I need the Zypheria (it's the name of the wind) but I might be able to bring it down a bit in size, or change its name.

I figured the scale was wrong once I got a feel for just how much of the planet this body of water covers.