Thread: Wow!

Default Wow!

Hi there!

The way I found this forum was rather indirect: On some other forum I frequent, someone, for some reason, posted a list of all his bookmarks with "possible nerd interest", and this pearl was among them.

I was really happy to find this forum, as I am getting ready to DM a D&D-campaign for some friends. Obsessive-compulsive as I am, I don't really feel good about it unless I have a complete, total, zoomable world map. The idea is to not only have a map of the continent, but being able to take that same map and zoom in until I can point and say "you are exactly there, under the shade of that tree".

Ok, obviously that is complete madness, and I've given up on that level of detail, but the fact remains that I want it to be as detailed as possible, and ideally "all in one"; I mentioned obsessive-compulsivity (is that a word?), and whenever I draw two seperate maps, one "scaled-up" and one "scaled-down" version, I always worry that they won't be perfectly aligned, that relative distances will have changed etc. So zoomability is really what I seek.

I made a quick map in AutoREALM, although lacking skills it didn't turn out too great - for example, when I used the fractal option on the continent's edges, they contorted quite a bit, changing the intended shape (which did, in at least some cases, admittedly, create some kinda cool peninsulas ), and the line even ended up crossing itself at points... well, I'm sure I can work it all out! But if anyone has some great pointers for AutoREALM (apart from the Users Manual I found in the tutorials, nice find), or has some better "create an entire world"-software to recommend (which should ideally be free, I'm a poor student! So I'll probably have to pass on FractalTerrains, sadly), I'd certainly be grateful!

(That's not to say I haven't trawled the forums quite a bit already, and I have found plenty, but additional advice would be appreciated... additionally? )

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Christars, welcome to the guild. I think there has been someone at some point talking about using google earth as a base for maps... maybe that could be interesting
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hi Carstairs, I think you want 'Viewingdale' which does exactly what you want...do a search for it on the guild, it is written by Redrobes who is one of the mods here.

Wow, Viewingdale was rather mind-blowing. Seems very much like what I wanted, yes!

I've done a search and quite a lot showed up; I still have some questions, but I think it would be easier to pm Redrobes to ask him personally.

This could, indeed, be very good...

I repeat the "Wow!" of the title, for this forum is exactly what I was looking for and I am really glad I found it. Thanks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

just remember you have to have 5 posts in the forum before you can pm
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

And for that reason I'll be rude enough to "spam" and post an answer

I'm thinking that once the exam season calms down a little, I'll start a project page here, should get me up to the required number of posts and/or attract the required attention

"possible nerd interest", I love that! I'm going to google it right now. If it isn't the name of a website, it should be. Welcome to the guild and post again soon.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.