Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Silver Moon Empire

Map The Silver Moon Empire

All right, this is my first official post. Go gently!

A little background on this: while I have some hand drawn maps (Somewhere! I know they're somewhere!), this is actually my second (ever) digital map. It is a remake of a remake, and I did not create the original, so the geographic anomalies must be ... magic! (Yes, that really is a frozen waste across the bay from the desert in the north. What can I say?)

The map (actually a wallpaper version of the main part of the continent) is for the FFRP Lyran Tal setting, of which I have been a part for several years.

Oh! Strictly Photoshop!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SME_DT(1280x960).jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	557.2 KB 
ID:	2734  
    Last edited by StillCypher; 03-12-2008 at 05:16 PM.

(I think you forgot something, Cypher.... )
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

That was odd. Just odd... But hey! From "Obvious Spaz," there's nowhere to go but up! Right? LOL

Wow, that looks really good!

Whats hidden under the fold there though??? I'm sure theres got to be a secret island there!

Anyway, whats the deal with the city in the middle of the ocean? Sunken city, or floating city?
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Here Be Dragons ... under the fold! ...

Very nice map, love those mountians... let's see some more.. maybe what's under the fold? heh

Very beautiful map...those mountains are indeed amazing.

I especially love "The Frigin Sea". I can just imagine a conversation involving that..Question- "Where's that island at?" Answer- "It's in the Frigin Sea." Response- "Yeah, but which frigin' sea?" I apologize for my bizarre sense of humor.

The only constructive criticism I can offer is that the map looks off centered, almost like there's too much open ocean. Overall though it is an awesome map!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

lol cereth .. I just noticed that... Frigin sea.. that's hilarous ... we do stuff like that in our games all the time...

and that sense of humor isn't bizarre at all.. at least... wait... uh oh... so we are the ones that are bizarre?? all this time I thought it was everyone else....

This is very nice! Good job.

A couple ideas, both hinging on the reality of this being a map created and printed and laying on a table: 1) give the map a border. If hand-drawn, a cartographer would not run all the way to the edge as you have (or, at least have it obviously torn or cut, or something.) (and ditto for all that sea: why would a cartographer bother to put all that there?)

Also,2) blur the map slightly: right now it is a bit too crisp and pixelated.

3) the colors and countours appear to be sitting on top ofthe texture of the paper; this spoils a bit of the fun illusion that this is an authentic map.

Overall, great job! Glad you posted this, and keep 'em comin'!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Map Hyathis: The Rest of the Story

The map looks off-centered because it's only half of the map :: Awkward, yes, but it was in answer to the need to supply a wallpaper version of just that portion of the continent. The "city in the middle of the sea" is actually the underwater capitol of the Merfolk.

I thought the "Frigin Sea" was pretty funny, too. Wish I could claim that it was my idea, but it was part of the original map.

Pryrandon, I like the idea of adding a border and making the map look more realistic. I can only help the problem of Too Much Ocean by putting up the entire map of the continent.

Browsing through the forums, I've picked up some ideas and tips I'd like to try to implement. So much fun stuff here to learn!

So. Until I have time to do that (busy, busy week, here!), here is the current version. The eastern half of the continent -- referred to by those who live in the western half as "The Badlands" -- is largely 'wild' and unexplored, and thus there are no cities and very few landmarks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hyathis02.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	557.2 KB 
ID:	2758  

I really dig some of the textures present in this map. It's very original and very professional looking.

In some spots I kind of lose the shoreline though and it almost seems to blend into the ocean in spots. This mostly seems to happen in the southeast portions of the map...maybe there could be a little more definition in these areas of the shoreline. Really about the only suggestion though....looks great overall.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast