Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: November/December Lite Challenge Entry : Perintethibar

Good work. I especially like the names, which seem to "mesh" together, like they actually come from a single language. It looks really good.

Looking really good, JB! I especially like the calligraphy and the outline of the river.

In terms of C&C (and this has to be the least useful C&C of all time) It looks like it's missing something, but I don't know what that 'something' is.

That is a lot. You've given it some thought, have you? Too narrow for a ferry? Depends... No problem for me as is. I agree, wireless is essential. How many people live there? Why do some house symbols have their own name? The spacing on the trees suggests thin woods to me - was that your intent?
    Regards, Gary

Ravells, maybe it's just the framing still missing. I am not too worried about making it look like a published map once I like the contents, so I haven't bothered to do bordering, etc. on these throwaways.

Thanks, Lukc -- that's high praise from you :-).

Gary - just a few hundred inhabitants. Outside the town proper, folks' dwellings constitute landmarks in and of themselves. I assume on the US Civil War maps that was important in case a unit had to deal with Mrs. Perkins, all the locals would be able to tell just where that was. Sam'thuma's main roads look like forest paths to outsiders - only the cased ones on the map are even assumed to be cleared to a width for cars & trucks. So instead of "4.3 km down Highway 78" Sam'thumans definitely use "turn past Sunduripethy's barn, ford two creeks, and my house is a bit further on the left".

That's assuming there's even a 1-meter path near a destination. Significant numbers of backwoods Sam'thumans' dwellings are up a dry (one hopes) streambed, across a pond, or "park your car, put on your snake-shedding hat, and walk uphill".

Hmmmm, yeah, that symbology does imply open woods. Dang - I was just going for lazy/easy. Think,Think,Think,Think,Think, ....

Ok, I'll buy that. I spent way too much time in Texas not to understand your logic. Something is bothering me about the setting - I think it is the mix of modern and isolated. I'll get over it. The old joke: we used to always give directions with "turn left at the green water tower..." Of course, when it blew down in the tornado, we had to start saying, "turn left where the green water tower used to be..."

What is bothering me.... I think it is that the American Civil War was around mid 1800's - the American south was sparsely settled and people did live away from towns. Someone's house would be a landmark. Self-sufficiency was a necessity rather than a lifestyle choice. That was about 150 years ago and now we have wireless and sports. People continue to live outside towns but I'll wager the mortgage money that they would be upset without a way to get to town for supplies and still put in a full day's work on the farm.

That said, I still like it and enjoy exploring what you've put into it.
    Regards, Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12