Thread: Vorkosigan District, in the time of isolation

Guild Novice

Wip Vorkosigan District, in the time of isolation

When I found the "Artistic maps in GIMP" I had to try it. It took a while to find ispiration for something other than a bit of brushing mountains across a page and giggling.

This is based on the Vorkosigan District from Los McMaster Bujold's book about Miles Vorkosigan. The native plants on this planet (Barayar) are brown and red (hence to background colour, the map may be drawn on a native papyrus type paper) and green plants are imported from Earth (which may explain why they look so regimented).

In the mountain, hill, and forest brushes I replicated the 'inconspicuous' shapes, like singe peak mountains, three or four time each in the brush to increases their probability of appearing on the map.

I've no idea if I've broken rules, violated convension or not followed recommendations because the "A guide to posting your maps can be found here." link on the quickstart page is broken. I tried to send a message to the adminitrator, but it failed presumably because of the new memeber limitation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vorkosigan sml.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	40200
    Last edited by sforster; 11-26-2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Removed larger map

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

If the vegetation is brown and red (I know the novels, btw), then the map elements should have these colours, and not green. You should change the colour of the forests and maybe the greenish hills, too. Additionally, some of the mountains are wrong positioned, they overlap incorrectly.

Hi sforster, your message did get through and I've removed the link (thanks for the heads up!). Unfortunately you didn't have more than 5 posts, so I couldn't PM you to thank you in person

No rules broken in your upload, it's exactly as it should be.

Guild Novice

I appear to have rather slavishly followed the tutorial colour scheme for the hills and mountains I think. Though the forests of Earth trees, probably the vegetation of most interest to the colonists, are green. I concentrated them around Silvy Vale and its approach and the lake for simplicity.

Guild Novice

Default Fixed hill colours

I've recoloured the hills, I think the reduced opacity of brownish hills over the red bakground gave them a greenish tint.

I see where the mountains went wrong but I think I'll leave them as this map is just a little practice, I think the mountains and trees have come out too small too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vorkosigan sml 2.png 
Views:	378 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	40228