Thread: New Around These Parts

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Tadiera's Avatar

Default New Around These Parts

Hello!

I am so very, very new. I've sketched out rough and rather terrible maps by hand before, but I've been writing a series of novels that I intend to get published some day and I think I've held the map in my head (with rough doodles in notebooks) for much too long. Especially since the world keeps expanding past one continent.

So here I am, introducing myself, while I dig through tutorials and try to find what method would work best for me. I'm really looking for a hand-drawn, antique-map feel... but something that would translate well to being printed for a novel. So I don't need fancy colors, the look of creases, etc... Tall-order, I guess, but from what I've seen around here I think I might be able to find my way to figuring something out.

Beyond trying to learn to be a better cartographer and working on my novel, I also enjoy gaming (TT, video, board...), music (listening mostly, though I do try to learn various instruments from time to time), and being creative... which mostly means crochet and embroidery, but I also dabble in jewelry-making and whatever else may strike my fancy at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Hi Tadiera-

Both your posts were aught in our moderation queue. I approved this one and deleted the duplicate.

Welcome!

-Rob A>
    Ah! Thank you so much. My browser gave me some fits after the first one and I never got confirmation (on my end) that it went through, so I assumed it did not.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

Welcome to the forums, Tadiera!

Jewelry making? Very interesting! My mother makes jewelry too! You are writing a novel? Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stark View Post
    Welcome to the forums, Tadiera!

Jewelry making? Very interesting! My mother makes jewelry too! You are writing a novel? Awesome!
    I someday long to take some proper silversmithing workshops (and a local artist has told me she is setting up a new studio so she can someday- joy!). Most of what I do now is either bead, wire, or clay. I don't work on things often, mostly as the mood hits; I seem to be more interested in the process and theory than actual application.

I am writing a novel. It's a world I've been working on for about ten years and have finally pegged down the story I want to write. Hoping to have it ready to submit to publishers by summer 2012.

Welcome.

For a hand made map feel I recommend you do it by hand, then clean it up on a PC. Simple and effective.