Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Near Final Sylvane Map: Feedback Wanted

Guild Novice Facebook Connected jlficks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’m still working on the map, but here’s a more updated version.
    Summary of changes:
    1) Changed city/town name font to a more handwritten font
    2) Increased font size
    3) I fixed areas especially around hills and the dead forest where text got chopped into tiny pieces
    4) Some renaming
    5) I fixed some text along curves where letters weren’t spaced right
    6) Other minor fixes

Map is still not final. I am still tweaking. Here’s a clearer Med. Rez updated version.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sylvane-Med-Rez.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	40366

Blog Entries

A few words on responses:
    1) Thank you! I appreciate all the feedback very much!
    2) On mountains/text. I hear you on the difficulty to read. I don’t have a solution.
    3) Mizzle Drizzle is kind of a playful name from a playful people.
    4) The clean cartouches verses black border. I hadn’t thought about that.

Cereth hit the purpose of the map dead on. It’s supposed to make you explore and want to learn more about the world. As for the format, this grungy color map is featured on the website. The map viewer allows you to zoom in, pan, etc. so not all text needs to be read at a glance.

That said this is not the B&W version that will be printed in the novels. That map doesn’t have the parchment texture or black border. It’s simpler, so maybe Freodin will forgive me for the dark border on the website verision. : )

Would a lighter color for some labels (like Dragontooth Mountains) be more readable ... perhaps an outline font?

Really nice map. Very interesting. The only part I had to struggle to read is one of the largest names, the Dragontooth Mountains. I think it might be to large. I had less trouble reading it when the map was smaller.

From the edges, I'm assuming the map belongs to a coal miner?

Nice map. One thing I do like is the font you have selected for the map.

What is Deadwood that is in your legend? I'm guessing a dead or rotted forest but not sure.
    Ysalmariya and Doljinaar both have a symbol of a square with a star inside of it but the Legend makes no visual of what it is. I would guess a Metropolis Capital since the Metropolis is a square shape and the star is the Capital.
    On the Dead Cost is there a road between Temple Manar and Skultera? It looks like it but with the names and the symbol between them it is hard to tell.
    Certain areas of the map feel heavily marked (The South East and West areas) making it hard for me to process exactly what I am looking at.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been a bit tied up on edits on the book. Deadwood are dead forests. Rentauri is right on Doljinaar's and Ysalmariya's symbols. I just thought it might sound a little weird labeled in the legend.

Yes there is a road between the Temple of Manar and Skultera. Looks like I accidently moved a few trees. I'll fix that. Thank you.

I could try to put some of the mountain names in outline format. We'll see if that works.

~J. L.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12