Thread: World Map for Fantasy Setting

Default World Map for Fantasy Setting

Hi all! For long, I've been working on my custom high fantasy role-playing system and setting, and I believe it's about time for the world to get a world map. Although I am fairly keen with Photoshop myself, I do not possess the necessary skill to create a professionally looking world map. That's where you come in.

Price
    Before I go on, let me mention the following regarding the price: I'm not rich. I'd like reproduction rights and copyright for the map, depending on how much money we're looking at. I haven't got the slightest idea about the normal price for your work, but I believe I'm fairly flexible.
    I can transfer money via PayPal. Other methods of transaction can be discussed. If you're interested in taking this commission, mail me and we'll talk about the price. My address is quixoticelixir1--at--gmail.com.

Time Constraints
    I'm fairly flexible on this matter. Of course, I'd like the map to be finished as quickly as possible. While there's no deadline, I'd like to have the map done before December 20th, if possible.

Style
    I'd like the map to be a mix of your classical fantasy-esque with some high-fantasy-esque elements. A perfect example of what I'd like can be found at the following links:
    http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs15/f/20...p_by_k_tim.jpg
    http://k-tim.deviantart.com/gallery/#/dterdb

Description of Map
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map.jpg 
Views:	1219 
Size:	761.0 KB 
ID:	40214
    The image above should hopefully give you an idea how the world looks. The distance between the various continents should be greater, but connected by chains of islands. Also, the distance to the continent on the bottom left should be greater, too (it's a newly discovered continent).
    It is important to note that the world is massive. Unlike other fantasy settings, this doesn't have alternate planes of existence. In compensation, this world is vast. I haven't decided exactly how vast this world is, but I want it to be insanely big. I was hoping we could discuss this issue (at least in regard to scale) by e-mail, should you be interested.

Quality and Size
    • Professional
    • Required for print and web
    • Dimensions of map: Another area where my expertise isn't quite sufficient, so I'll leave this one up to you. Whatever you think is best.
    • Raster/Vector: I imagine raster would be best. If you disagree, let me know.

Copyright and Stuff
    I would like reproduction rights to the map
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Notes and Stuff
    Since the world is currently in development, I'd like to be able to add countries etc. to the world map later. I imagine that the easiest way to do this is by sending me the finished map in a .pdf file.

Thanks in advance!

Kim Y. Sørensen
    Last edited by Quixoticelixir; 11-28-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Hi-

Your post was in the moderation queue, I have approved it.

As a quick note, in the case of artistic works, such as maps, it is uncommon for the artist to surrender copyright unless a significant fee is offered. More typically, an artists retains copyright and provides a licence to the purchaser to use the work for a particular purpose or set of purposes, while agreeing to limit their use to display in a portfolio, etc, as you indicated in your post. In other words, by asking for copyright, your second point about you having rights for commercial use are irrelevant, as as the copyright holder you can do anything you want, including commercial use or even insisting the artist NOT use the map for any purpose...

Good luck on the commission - looks quite interesting, and I know any number of artists here work in that style.

-Rob A>

This seems like an interesting proposal, and a fun style to do.

Anyway, above all what I wanted to mention was that if you want the map to remain editable in future, what you want is a vector file that is editable by software like Illustrator or Inkscape (Most .pdfs are not fully editable, depends on the save settings, compression, etc.). You can then export a new raster for every version you need.

Blog Entries

I'd be interested, but work for hire is not cheap. I tried to email the given address, but it just bounced.

You can take a look at my work here: http://draconic.ca/portfolio/

I work in Inkscape, a vector graphics editor. It's freely available and it uses the standardized SVG format so you'd be able to edit the map yourself. I can also work with GIS software should you want raw geographic data for your world.

I really don't know what you mean by "classical fantasy-esque with some high-fantasy-esque elements" as a "style". The map you linked to is strange with lots of nonsensical scribbles. (I'm a GIS tech so I know what the arcane scribbles that are supposed to be on maps are) If anything it's got a sort of sci-fi ish feel in places.

Sorry about the copyright stuff and wrong e-mail. I've edited the opening post. My correct e-mail is quixoticelixir1--at--gmail.com.

As of now, the project is personal, but I'm working towards getting a publisher. If I want the map to accompany the book (like the map of Faerun accompanies the Forgotten Realms book), what copyright do I need?

@Hai-Etlik: Sorry about the e-mail typo. I really like your work, so feel free to send me another mail. I agree with you that the map has some "sci-fi ish feel in places" and that's exactly what I'd like for my map.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Quixoticelixir; 11-28-2011 at 05:26 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi Q - you actually don't need copyright at all - you just need "right of use" for your project. So you tell the artists what uses the map will be for and that will be entered into the agreement - good luck with the project
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've talked to Q and will begin working on his map shortly
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise