Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three towers

Default Three towers

Here is the latest project I'm working on. It features three ruined towers looking over a deep chasm. This is a low resolution version due to size limitations, but it will give you a view what is to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Three towers.jpg 
Views:	2438 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	40258  

Wowza! How do you get such convincing impressions of height on your terrain? That's something I always struggle with. Is there a 3D program involved here?

Wow that is amazing looking terrain.
    Brad LaVario: [ Home ] [ Blog ] [ Gallery ]

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Amazing indeed ^^
    Can't even start to think where to begin to match same style ...

Guys, he is PASIS. No mere guild adept here

Yeah. Wow. You're going to have to share your secrets someday...that's some *amazing* looking terrain. The tower looks awesome too. Have some rep.
    M

[edit: Spoke too soon. Have to spread it around first...I've been remiss in my repping duties!]

The terrain looks great. The tower ruins and bridge all appear to be from the Dundjinni (TM) forums.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Indeed the towers and the bridge are not my creations. I have just done simple modifications to fit them into this map. The credit goes to the artists in Dundjinni. I tried to create the towers myself, but the results were so poor and you would have got good laughs (I sure did...right after I had stopped crying).

The terrain elevation is a created using a gray scale 2D heightmap and then applying several layers of various textures on top of it. I use Geocontrol to create the heightmaps and save them as normal bitmaps (as I'm no pro on geocontrol I tend to create several heighmaps and use only the best parts of them). I also tried to create the heightmap for the chasm, but failed constantly, so I created it manually by drawing using standard black brush with low opacity.

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessEnthusiasm View Post
    Wowza! How do you get such convincing impressions of height on your terrain? That's something I always struggle with. Is there a 3D program involved here?
    I use geocontrol for the heightmap and you can actually export a real 3D data out from it to be used with and 3D program. But I don't have any 3D program and those are really expensive, so I just work on the 2D gray scale image in Photoshop. If you are interested in using Geocontrol, please seach for a tutorial created by our fellow cartographer Jykke. It is a tutorial that got me started with Geocontrol.

WOW ! this is an epic art piece! I think the two completely ruined towers started out as mine at some point ( I hope :p ). your depth of field is amazing, you pulled off the gorge like I have never seen and your "very semi ISO" trick on the waterfall works fantastic!

I'm linking this through to Dundjinni (if I may?)

ae
    "No, the fat one says he can deal with his problem, then explodes....."

Quote Originally Posted by aegean View Post
    WOW ! this is an epic art piece! I think the two completely ruined towers started out as mine at some point ( I hope :p ). your depth of field is amazing, you pulled off the gorge like I have never seen and your "very semi ISO" trick on the waterfall works fantastic!

I'm linking this through to Dundjinni (if I may?)

ae
    Sure you can. It is just great when more fellow mappers get new ideas and inspiration!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast