Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nov/Dec 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: The Mage's Tale - episode 6

Wip November/December 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: ### LATEST WIP ###

With thanks to Tilt for suggesting more evidence of human habitation...Regards, Gary

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mage6_WIPFINAL_001.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	407.0 KB 
ID:	40275  
    Last edited by tilt; 11-30-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi gwiley - I have merged your threads - it is only necessary to write the lastest wip in the post not in the title - so you're good staying with the original thread. To me its still more a picture than a map - a great picture but a picture non-the-less - I'd add some labels perhaps? Of course, it is only my opinion
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks Tilt. I thought about it and decided not to add labels. I am happy you like the picture. I do add labels in some drawings but rarely. A friend who writes asked for names for places; Looking around, I think people name things like Small Ford, Green River, High Road, Earl's Wood, Point Peril - meaning they just name things they see using their name for that. Unless it is owned by/associated with someone (Filbert's Ford, Dason Manor, Point Charlotte). Sometimes, I feel that labels detract from the work I am looking at.

Most viewers will likely feel as you do - that it needs labels. As well, many may feel that it is curious but not a map - and prefer another entry. I can live with that :-) I am excited just to have an entry at all!

Regards,
    Gary

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

as long as you're happy - that's the important thing
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I really like your map, its very beautiful, especially with the perspective it gives you this other-worldly feel. Great work! Keep it up. (You hands must be getting cramped with those forest's partying like no tomorrow!)

Aw Nebula - it is easy - you just enter a zen state where you ARE the pencil and it flows. Of course, a couple of afternoon glasses of wine do help. :-)
    Regards, Gary

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

Normally with a map I would expect labels, and done in the right style they would make this an absolutly incredible map in my eyes.
    'A map is a visual representation of an area—a symbolic depiction highlighting relationships between elements of that space such as objects, regions, and themes.' (Wikipedia) - So textual information and labels may be common, yet they are not mandatory to make a graphic into a map and I think your 'painting' technically fits the definition of a map, even without labels...

Looking very good! Love this handrawn perspective landscape stuff and I thought I recognized this style and it just hit me, I visited your site a couple of times (nl strabo). Great work there too! (btw, I estimate we live within 10miles of eachother as I live in the Hague O.o) One tiny nitpick: the crater mouth seems a little out-of-perspective, but otherwise very nice! cheers, DJ

Thank you for your comments - sometimes labels ja, and sometimes, niet (nein). Maar/Aber, this is my hesitant attempt to draw a volcano. The crater mouth (like my own?) is somewhat out of perspective - thanks for noticing as I had not.

You know how it is, every drawing is LOVE and then another one waltzes around the corner and wham, new love. Also, I am trying to develop the skill of "put the mouse down, raise your hands, and step back from the drawing..." meaning do not touch it again.

Regards, Gary

Djekspek - jep, we do live close. So, one day I will buy you the beverage of your choice at the Engel cafe in Delft, ja?
    Last edited by gwiley; 12-03-2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Randstad Buren

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12