Thread: Jungle?

Default Jungle?

Something I have never tried drawing on a map before is jungle, and I'm really not sure how to convey the density of one along with a unique tree type. Does anyone have any suggestions of examples?

Blog Entries

That rather depends on the rest of your symbology. Consider if the distinction between jungles and other kinds of forests is important; if so, what about other distinctions between forests like temperate and boreal/taiga?

Take a look at this map I made of Britannia from the Ultima games.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Britannia_map_by_Hai_Etlik.png 
Views:	2858 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	41897

I represented forests as collections of tree symbols, and for jungle I just took the broadleaf tree symbol and mixed it with palm trees. There's a little down in the southwest.

There are a variety of ways.

On my Ascadia map http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...-Fantasy-World I interspersed different tree types, and changed to shading/colour to represent the various forrested areas (coniferous, deciduous, and jungle).

If you are NOT using individual tree icons then it would be a bit trickier...

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    There are a variety of ways.

On my Ascadia map http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...-Fantasy-World I interspersed different tree types, and changed to shading/colour to represent the various forrested areas (coniferous, deciduous, and jungle).

If you are NOT using individual tree icons then it would be a bit trickier...

-Rob A>
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I like what you've done with your jungle. I do my maps hand drawn, so it might be a little trickier for me to get that effect, but I feel like I at least have a starting point now. Thanks!

When you say by hand do you mean on paper or within the software? I do all my stuff by hand plus I use some of the effects, blurs and whatnots to quickly update certain things.

I had some jungle in my Elechos commission that might generate some other ideas for you. If you are just drawing it by hand with say a pencil then you probably just have to draw a lot more vine type stuff to fill the area in more thickly.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yeah, I ment by hand on a bit of paper with a pencil. Thanks for the link!