Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Back Alley

Map Dangerous Back Alley

This is a map I made that shows a city block. It focuses on the alley behind the buildings, but since we never know which way the players are going to go, I have filled out all the building interiors.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back Alley_bg.jpg 
Views:	2187 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	40289

Comments and constructive criticism welcome, Hope you like it. ( This is my first map posted here )

This map and a companion map were also posted in the Finished Maps Forum.
    Last edited by Bogie; 12-01-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Very nice. The broken down cart under the tree caught my eye right away. Hope you have someone or something guarding
    all those swords though! btw, is that a mancala board across the porch from the chess board? Thanks for posting this map.

Glad you like it. I think that is a mancala board, not sure, just thought it looked cool.
    Rumor has it that the suit of armor in the main room of the swordshop is some kind of
    magical guardian, like a Helmed Horror.

A nice map for miniatures.

An option to empasize one thing (like the alley) while providing extra details (like the interiors) for "just in case" would be with a graphic hierarchy.

One example might be to leave the interiors as white lineart or greyscale, while the alley is in color.
    A subtler way would be to create the interiors as a pale color layer and the alley as a bold color layer, making the difference between the indoor and outdoor spaces 'pop' visually.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

This is very nice!

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Thanks,
    I also posted this in the Finished Maps section as 2 maps, one exactly like this and one with all the building roofs in place.
    On a later reply, I posted the roofs as separate pieces so anyone using a VTT can just add and subtract the roofs on the fly.

Very cool. ILooking st it, it presumes that a potential "combat" will be a multi-place, multi-site area. Much like 4e talks about, but I would use this with Savage Worlds as well. Excellent.

Thanks catsclaw227, glad you like it.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Yup, it does look nice.

the only crit that I do have is that the shadows don't all follow the same line. Just for an example, take the stone building on the bottom left: the shadows around the edges seem to be from the sun being in the top left, yet the you have the right corners building shadows going straight to the right (top right corner) and pointing to the upper right (bottom right corner). there are a few others that popped out at me, but you get the idea.

Don't let that take away from the map. It does look good, but I tend to fixate on the shadows.

Nicely done
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

As much as I love Dundjinni, it has a few drawbacks, one is the lack of control over wall shadows, they are always from the upper left. The shadows I added were roughly for a sunset to the west, and they are not perfect either. As it is early evening I assumed there would be some other artificial light sources casting irregular shadows. ( at least that sounds like a good excuse )

Glad you liked the overall map, while I try to make them as visually accurate as I can, I mostly make my maps to be a good place to run my games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast