Thread: WIP - The Razorback Isles

Wip WIP - The Razorback Isles

Okay so basically I am trying to make this one in two versions, a sketch looking version, and a painted terrain version, so far... even though I have the most beautiful brushes I have ever seen... my mountains look like crap.

The idea is the keep is supposed to be surrounded on almost all sides, with a small open area for a river... but it looks exactly like what I did, randomly put mountains around it... so how do I make this look natural and not random?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	razor draw.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	783.1 KB 
ID:	40255
    Brad LaVario: [ Home ] [ Blog ] [ Gallery ]

Here is what the terrain map looks like (more or less):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	razorback goog.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	988.2 KB 
ID:	40256

note: this is an earlier version of my mountains, so I did erase some of these around the keep area to allow for a river, and I abandoned the volcanic island idea in the south, it didn't look right after I textured it up.
    Last edited by bradlavario; 11-28-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Brad LaVario: [ Home ] [ Blog ] [ Gallery ]

I think the drawn mtns are great.
    I also like the coastline rippled edges.

The thing with mountains is really the zoom level, i.e. how big are you going to make them? If you make them big then it looks like you have small islands. If you make the mountains small then it makes your landmasses look like continents. The same thing applies to trees as well.

Also think in fractals and power laws. Nature is semi-random, not random. There will always be less giant mountains and many more smaller ones. The same thing applies to trees as well.

I really love the idea of a satellite version and a drawn version, as if the people living in that world drew a map of their lands.