Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: website info

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

BTW, are you a fan of the El-Hazard anime by any chance?

First I'll go check your site ASAP, cause I would like to drop all the frame.

Second let just say that my sensei is real though to beat when he does drink for sometimes

Also about the "top" link, I also notice that it stop working in some pages, mainly in firefox. but tx anyway for the remark.

Sea-U-Hall,
    Alu.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Quote Originally Posted by alucard339 View Post
    First I'll go check your site ASAP, cause I would like to drop all the frame.
    For the record, it isn't my site but I thought it listed the issues with frames rather well (and it had a few that even I wasn't aware of ).

Quote Originally Posted by alucard339 View Post
    Second let just say that my sensei is real though to beat when he does drink for sometimes
    LOL! At least he doesn't constantly laugh maniacally while hanging out with the bugrom.

You have made a good start on your site. Stick with it. HTML code might look complicated or intimidating at first, but it isn't really. Try some of the tutorials that are available online and I'm sure you'll get a hang of things in no time. I highly recommend the W3C Schools Online Web Tutorials.

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

It is always a good idea to check your site against a multiple browsers. What works for one doesn't always works on another. or you will get little variations like how different browsers handle paragraphs and breaks differently. That sort of thing.

Best of luck on your site. You're off with a good start and I can only see things getting better with time.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

For the record, it isn't my site but I thought it listed the issues with frames rather well (and it had a few that even I wasn't aware of ).

LOL! At least he doesn't constantly laugh maniacally while hanging out with the bugrom.

You have made a good start on your site. Stick with it. HTML code might look complicated or intimidating at first, but it isn't really. Try some of the tutorials that are available online and I'm sure you'll get a hang of things in no time. I highly recommend the W3C Schools Online Web Tutorials.

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

It is always a good idea to check your site against a multiple browsers. What works for one doesn't always works on another. or you will get little variations like how different browsers handle paragraphs and breaks differently. That sort of thing.

Best of luck on your site. You're off with a good start and I can only see things getting better with time.
    That was a great site link Turg... I mean... the information I got on meta tags alone was outstanding .... you are right... CONTENT IS KING... great find... have some rep

Here's an interesting article about the use of frames in HTML pages:

http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
    I found this in the text

instead of frame, SSI, CGI, PHP or ASP do a far superior job of including one menu into all content pages and don't annoy the site visitor.

Cool but which one do I take
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'd go either the PHP, ASP or even javascript route (plenty of free stuff and/or examples out there), never been a big fan of CGI scripts (though they do have their place) and I'm not even sure what SSI is.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'd steer clear of javascript. As the article points out, many people surf with it turned off (myself included) to limit the damage a hostile web site can do to their computers.

CGI also has problems: poorly designed code can open security holes on the server. Hosts tend to frown on that sort of thing, so CGI access is not generally granted unless you beg for it and can present a reasonable need for it.

I use CSS to manage my layouts and a utility with global find/replace whenever I need to make an update to navigation. Notepad++ was the one I used most recently. Not the most elegant way to go about it, but it's suitable for someone with my limited understanding of PHP. Someday I'll bone up on more dynamic solutions, but for now my manual approach is working okay.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Server Side Include

-Rob A>
    *smacks himself on forehead* Duh! I should've known that, I use them all the time at work. Thanks...

@Midgardsormr - Very true, I had forgotten that fact. God my mind is going softer than a overripe bannana
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I surf with firefox and noscript so most javascript does not run. The thing is that I cant find any other way to get at certain properties like the screen size of the browser being used to look at a page.

I use perl based CGI scripts for my web site and program it with a text editor - often wordpad. I keep reading on EnWorld about whats the best web layout editor to use and some of us keep saying notepad. The guy almost always says "well I decided to use xxxx" - some bloated over the top editor like front page or something and then continues - "but it keep shafting my page layouts". Well yeah - naturally.

So its notepad, CSS and perl for me with the barest minimum of javascript that I can get away with though I can see why people would want to use PHP too.

I test against the W3C tester code and if it looks good on Firefox I am happy. If IE is alright then bonus but if not then get a proper browser.

woohoo - my first every multiquote!

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I'd steer clear of javascript. As the article points out, many people surf with it turned off (myself included) to limit the damage a hostile web site can do to their computers.

CGI also has problems: poorly designed code can open security holes on the server. Hosts tend to frown on that sort of thing, so CGI access is not generally granted unless you beg for it and can present a reasonable need for it.

I use CSS to manage my layouts and a utility with global find/replace whenever I need to make an update to navigation. Notepad++ was the one I used most recently. Not the most elegant way to go about it, but it's suitable for someone with my limited understanding of PHP. Someday I'll bone up on more dynamic solutions, but for now my manual approach is working okay.
    My web site uses php and smarty templating for managing the layout. Lets me provides nice dynamic content with no (ok, minimal, and just for bells and whistles) javascript.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    *smacks himself on forehead* Duh! I should've known that, I use them all the time at work. Thanks...
    No problem. We all suffer from tlamnesia* every now and then.

(*forgetting what a tla, or three letter acronym stands for. On that note, the biggest problem since Y2K is coming soon... TLA-2010. That is when we, the **BBG, are predicting that all TLAs will run out, causing mass confusion and panic. Similar to the way that IPV4 is being extended into IPV5, we are proposing "TLA4" the official extension of all TLAs into four letter TLAs.
    (**Big Brain Guys, AKA*** BBG-A under the proposed TLA4 extension plan...)
    (***AKA will soon be superceded by AKA-A under the proposed TLA4)
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I surf with firefox and noscript so most javascript does not run. The thing is that I cant find any other way to get at certain properties like the screen size of the browser being used to look at a page.
    Noscript is the best firefox extension in existence. Period.

-Rob A>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast