Thread: The Western Ocean

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default The Western Ocean

This should really go under WIP as it's a slightly unusual project. The map is of the Western Ocean of Open Design's world of Midgard. Here's the map so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OceanMapSmall.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	40318

Currently it's a little empty as the details of the map are undecided. Open Design is running a Kickstarter to design the lands of the Western Ocean - archipelagos, reefs and islands that adventurers can explore in storm tossed ships. When the project begins in earnest (in 17 days time) the real design will begin and the sea will start to fill up with exotic locations. At the moment, all we really have is the western coast of the mainland, the city at the end of the world, and the virgin expanse of the Isle of Morphoi (that's starting to take shape in these blog posts over on Kobold Quarterly).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OceanMapDetail.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	40319

If you're interested in world design (and really - who here isn't), I can highy recommend jumping in on the project. OD is great for cutting your teeth with pro designers.

The plan for the map will be to add lements such as wind roses, tentacled beasts of the deep, and other decoration to the chart as we progress. I also need to add and label all the existing coastal settlements, which will be the first task. If I get permission I'll post the updates here as we go forward - though high res images will have to be restricted to those who jump in on the Kickstarter I'm afraid.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice beginning torstan
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The forum ate my response :S

Anyway, it was something along the lines of "Oooh, very pretty. Where 'n' how can we join this OD project?"

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Follow this link to find out more about the project and get involved: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...der-rpg-voyage

They have a private forum set up on the KQ forums and once you chip in on the Kickstarter you'll get access to it and be able to join in the brainstorming. They're good about holding off on any design in earnest until they pass the funding deadline.