Thread: trying to make a map in a similar style

Question trying to make a map in a similar style

so i am starting a new campaign based in the sky realms. basically vast expanse of sky with thousands of floating islands. i found this map online and love the textures and colors. my question is im curious about the medium it was created? water paint, oil, pencil or completely digital. any ideas?

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/15/98/2f/1...df560d9ad6.jpg

It was done by Elena Konstantinova in Photoshop.

She's quite an artist! Here is her artstation page

EDIT: as to the 'how' bit of it I'm at a total loss. Maybe one of the pro artists can help you by describing the process of creating something as beautiful as that. One thing is for sure, there were other artists contributing to the work. She acknowledges their help in the bumf on the right hand side of that page.
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-12-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Simply amazing. Looks hand painted. I'm gonna try and reproduce the style on a much larger scale. I almost wanna take an oil painting class. This next map I'm making I want to be my master piece. Of course on this website I am just a dwarf in the company of giants. Thanks a bunch

You're welcome

If you start a WIP thread in the appropriate sub-forum here, you will probably get loads of advice and encouragement along the way.

Even though I don't know anything about PS, as a landscape painter (oil on canvas) I would say that the best place to start something like this is with a preliminary line sketch of roughly where everything is going to be - a scribble showing intention - something to discuss and to start the conversation.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfate View Post
    Simply amazing. Looks hand painted. I'm gonna try and reproduce the style on a much larger scale. I almost wanna take an oil painting class. This next map I'm making I want to be my master piece. Of course on this website I am just a dwarf in the company of giants. Thanks a bunch
    The thing about mapmaking is, sure my first maps looked extremely mediocre. But, with feedback and taking risks, trying new things, learning to draw new things; the skill gets better and better. So, my advice is, use that map as inspiration and learn how to draw cliffs for the floating island, learn how do the grass, learn how to paint that type of mountains. Bit by bit. And later you learn to put it all together.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    The thing about mapmaking is, sure my first maps looked extremely mediocre. But, with feedback and taking risks, trying new things, learning to draw new things; the skill gets better and better. So, my advice is, use that map as inspiration and learn how to draw cliffs for the floating island, learn how do the grass, learn how to paint that type of mountains. Bit by bit. And later you learn to put it all together.
    this is exactly what i am trying to do. i really wanna step up my game. i got the mountains and they are perfect. i still have no idea what to do with swamps. ive never even seen swamps i like. still searching