Thread: New Mapmaker from Finland

Post New Mapmaker from Finland

Hello!

I'm a 20 year old fellow from Finland. Amongst other things, my hobbies include playing the trumpet and the guitar, video gaming, tabletop RPGs, contact juggling and of course amateur mapmaking. I've never been an artist and have never been good at drawing. I've tried to learn every once in a while, but I'm just sort of inept at it. Then again, I've found that I've got skill to better draw things like maps.

I like to draw fantasy maps of larger scale. I often try to think of stories and history based on the map while sketching it, to get more ideas. Sometimes, I like to justify things geographically, but usually not. I've got a small continent that I am drawing right now that I will probably put up on this site to get feedback and offer it for use.

Anyways, I've been lurking the forums for a while already, but now decided to register. I'm usually not a very active poster on forums, so don't worry about seeing too much of me!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild, be sure to check out the tutorials section for advice of how to better your map making
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Great to see more fellow Finns here.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome, Caelnias. "contact juggling", eh? I have a hard time envisioning NON-contact juggling :-).

As far as lack of artistic ability, two things - first, quite a few of us disclaim any artistic talent at all, but there's even tutorials focused on mapmaking without needing art. Certainly, the artists' work is easier, prettier, or both, but one can make perfectly servicable and pleasant maps without an artistic bone in your body. Second, though, don't sell yourself short. I have a 20 year old daughter who's a stellar artist... and my 11-year-old son complains he can't draw anything - not even straight lines and circles. I keep reminding him that his sister didn't get where she is now suddenly, but by drawing from one to four hours a day for thirteen or fourteen years! I bet even if you don't have much art in your fingers now, you can develop more than you have... pick up a book titled Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, and work through its exercises. It's been in print so long there's scads of used copies available, though I don't know what the availability would be near you.

Indeed, do put your current work up for comment and advice - we're a helpful bunch, and don't bite at all :-).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.