Thread: Create a partial world

Question Create a partial world

I have a fantasy game that i run which has part of the world mapped - its a sort of hybrid of Hyboria (from the Conan novels) and Europe & North Africa.

The thing is that I know where certain mountain ranges have to be (due to "terraforming" by a race of powerful mages in the past), and the layouts of about half the "European" land mass. However, I don't really care about how the rest of the world looks.

I have the following programs available to me CC2 & 3.42, Fractal Terrains Pro 3 , Fractal mapper 8.10 and Adobe Photoshop 7.

The map covers an area of approx 7500 miles from edge to edge.

Here's the base map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C&S Map A3 copy.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	342.4 KB 
ID:	40446 This is the really badly coloured map version

and this is the version with the sea terrain turned black

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C&S blank mapB&W.png 
Views:	288 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	40447

I have .psd versions of the files as well with greater size.

So basically what I need is some way of importing either the B&W map into one of my mapping progs and being able to select areas to be mountains ( I've tried this in FT pro and the selection tool just doesn't seem to want to work - always placing the terrain off to one side). Or of converting the partial colour image into some sort of height/depth data and then importing it into a made up world from FT or Fractal mapper.

Any ideas would be more than gratefully accepted.

(I also have the D20 Conan RPG so I have avail a good quality colour map of Hyboria to scan).

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by DrLight; 12-07-2011 at 11:58 AM.