Thread: CC2/CC3 Symbol Sets Seek Host Site

Default CC2/CC3 Symbol Sets Seek Host Site

Disclaimer: The material in this posting is of use only to users of Campaign Cartographer (TM) 2, Campaign Cartographer Pro 2 or Campaign Cartographer 3 from ProFantasy (TM) Ltd. This material cannot be used by other programs. This material also is strictly vector material. It is absolutely useless to anyone interested only in raster mapping with CC3.

Between 2006 and 2008, my colleagues and I created a large set of OGL 3.5 vector symbols for Campaign Cartographer (TM) 2 Pro from ProFantasy Ltd. If I remember correctly, there are 1,728 symbols in all. Many of them are connecting symbols and/or varicolor symbols. The graphic below gives one a quick sampling of a few of these symbols. The collection also includes three accompanying PDF booklets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	symbols.png 
Views:	2133 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	40397

These symbols were made to support the Northern Journey (TM) Adventure that we had created for the Forgotten Realms (R) campaign setting from Wizards of the Coast (R). At that time, we released the full vector symbol set under the Open Game License 1.0a.

In January 2009, we assigned all rights to Northern Journey to www.candlekeep.com. We then began new projects, went solely to raster mapping with a new program and removed these symbols sets from our website because they no longer were relevant to our current products.

In the past year, we have received a number of requests from CC3 and CC2 users to make these symbol sets available again. We've offered these persons an opportunity to host the symbol downloads on their own websites, but we've had no takers to date. Therefore, I've temporarily uploaded our OGL Symbol Sets on the company server, to see if anyone wants to set up a download site for the symbols. They will be available through December 31. The address is:

http://www.steigerwaldedv.de/downloa...symbolsets.zip (116 MB)

This package includes not only the symbol sets but also the booklets in PDF, OpenOffice.org Writer (.odt) and Microsoft (R) Word 97-2003 (.doc) formats. This will give anyone who wishes to do so the ability to customize the booklets.

Because this collection is Open Game Content under the Open Game License 1.0a, anyone can offer it for download on their websites. The only restriction is that you comply with the OGL. Part of what that means is:

1) You simply can offer the original file ogl_symbolsets.zip without any further steps, if you wish.

2) You may not make use of Product Identity. Except in Section 15 of the OGL, you may make no use of our trademarks, particularly the Vintyri (TM) trademark. You may not state anywhere that these symbol sets are Vintyri products or otherwise use the Vintyri trademark in any manner. (They are not, in fact, Vintyri products but are named only OGL Symbol Sets).

3) If you customize a symbol set or a PDF booklet in any way, you must remove the Impressum section from the booklet.

4) If you derive new symbols from our symbols and you wish to distribute them, you must do that under the OGL and you must declare these symbols as Open Game Content. Likewise, you may not declare any of our symbols to be Product Identity (i. e. closed content).

If anyone has questions, feel free to contact me. However, there is no need to contact me for permissions. Those already are granted by the OGL.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

Info

The few symbols in the sample look nice, I will download them later and give them a home... I will post the URL of where it will be available as soon as it is done. I am at work right now and can't do it from there.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

As promised downloaded and hosted - you can download the file here: http://cartography.eric-poehlsen.de/ogl_symbolsets.zip

I will build a small info-site around it when I have some time...
    (Info: That resource does not accept incoming links except from here)

Oh and I took a quick look - i just love it...
    Last edited by EricPoehlsen; 12-05-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Thanks Mark, downloading it now. I'll have a chat with the other mods / Arcana and see whether we can host the symbol set here.
    Quote Originally Posted by EricPoehlsen View Post
    As promised downloaded and hosted - you can download the file here: http://cartography.eric-poehlsen.de/ogl_symbolsets.zip

<SNIP>

Oh and I took a quick look - i just love it...
    Great! The three of us in the project group spent a lot of time making those symbol sets. We've gone to 100% raster mapping, so they're not useful to us anymore. But it's great if CC3 and CC2 users can do something with them. At the time I pulled them from our website in January 2009, they hadn't been downloaded even once in several months time, so I thought we'd run out of new users. They were gone for about a year before we started getting queries, and they've been growing in number lately, so I thought I ought to try to make them available again. They will stay there now as long as the new hosts decide to keep them available.

Thanks! And glad that you like them Eric.
    Last edited by Mark Oliva; 12-05-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Great, RobA. Thanks!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I've been experimenting with a process to convert CC2 vector files to SVG. So I took a stab at one of these symbol sets to see how they worked out. Here's an SVG version:

http://bcholmes.org/maps/OGL%20SS1%20Parts.svg

(The scale on that is pretty small -- a lot of CC2 diagrams use a fairly small scale, but because it's vector, you can load it up into Inkscape and stretch it out).

Here's an export at 300dpi:

http://bcholmes.org/maps/OGL%20SS1%20Parts.png

The conversion process isn't perfect -- I'm aware of a number of features that I don't yet support, but it's been an interesting exercise.