Thread: Caricatures & website help

Hello, friends. This has absolutely nothing to do with cartography, but since the Guild is the only board I regularly visit/contribute to, I'm posting this offer here anyway.

I recently entered the world of professional caricature drawing (i.e., I was paid for a drawing gig!), and I loved it. So now I have a second, goofy art hobby to round out my "serious" work in cartography.

Thanks for all your help with the practice!
    Last edited by pyrandon; 03-11-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: "closed" free caricature offer :)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Hi, guys. I am just beginning to build a website to advertise my caricaturing services. Can anyone recommend a good provider that hosts cheaply and reliably? I want to avoid free sites that would piggyback ads on my page (and even worse, pop-ups), as I think it would be unprofessional. I also would only need about 3 or 4 pages total, so maybe a max of 30-50 or so megs (that's a total guess, though). Finally, my own domain name would be my ideal, too.

I've done searches and such and found a few decent offers (like $10/year domain name with $4/month hosting), but I'm a computer idiot, so I thought I'd beg for help from you savvy fellas who live and breathe cyber air.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Take care!
    Don
    My gallery is here

I've had very good service from asmallorange.com

If you sign up with them, I'd appreciate a referral. My domain is bryanray.name

It cost me $60 for a year of hosting and the domain. No ads, as many email addresses, databases, and parked domains as I want. I am actually hosting a couple of other web sites there with their own domain names, and it doesn't cost me anything extra except the cost of the domain registrations.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Your cheapest hosting and best customer service is going to be godaddy.com They host this site and all my other sites, and I run about 7 websites. Godaddy's customer service is so phenominal, when you call them for tech support they give you the option of whether or not you want hold music...hehehe.

If you need any help getting setup let me know
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

OK, this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but....does your IP Provider not provide you with some webspace as part of you monthly fee?

With TELUS I get 100 mb of webspace as part of my service agreement and monthly access.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    OK, this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but....does your IP Provider not provide you with some webspace as part of you monthly fee?

With TELUS I get 100 mb of webspace as part of my service agreement and monthly access.
    Not a dumb question at all! I actually wondered that too, so I called Invisalink (my provider) and they said no, not in the package I'm in right now. The price for the package ends up being about $4-5 more a month, which doesn't sound bad to me, but I wanted to see what you geniuses had to say too. (And I think Invisalink does their stuff through godaddy, Robbie--that's where my home email is through.)

Thanks so much for all ther input, fellas! I really appreciate it and will get right on checking it all out! You guys rock.
    Don
    My gallery is here

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

I prefer Hostmonster... you have a lot of room to piggy back sites, and unlimited databases as well.

It ends up costing 4-5$ per month, the only caveat is that you have to pay up front to get the saving. Better yet, the CPanel and Fantastico will have all the bells and whistles you may need to set up a base site, including something like a VirtualMart.

Hope that helps you out.

Sandeman
    What???? You mean there is NO MAGIC RENDER BUTTON!

Hey, I wanted to thank everyone for your help. I did a lot of searching & finally took the plunge and now have my own hosted domain. First one ever--and oh man! By the power of Grayskull, I have the powwwwwer!

I also made my first Dreamweaver web page (an "under construction" page--of course!) & figured out how to post it (which was an adventure in and of itself for a technomoron like me).

Anyway, Check it out when you get a second: www.donbeckcaricatures.com You'll also see I had fun with Flash animation, too!

Thanks again for all the leads, guys!
    Last edited by pyrandon; 03-15-2008 at 11:00 PM.
    Don
    My gallery is here

Cute! I like it!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name